No high idle at cold start

Hi all, I just got done replacing the cylinder head on our 1993 Camry w/2.2 Liter 4 cyl, a/c, auto, and it has one issue that was not there before, after a cold start it does not go to high idle, it stumbles for a few minutes till it's warm, then runs great. I had to disassemble the whole top end of the engine including lots of wiring and vacuum lines, I believe they are all re-connected properly, but.........??? I'm a mechanic by trade (truck equipment, not cars), and my manual is not much help as far as vacuum hose routing. I would also be interested to read any fault codes, is there a way to do this without a scanner? It might give up a clue..... Also, tucked up behind the intake manifold, there is some sort of black plastic valve, has 2 vacuum hoses and a wiring connector, I'm not 100% sure that is as it should be. Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

Ed White

Reply to
Ed White

Hi Ed,

I think the factory service manual for your car is online at camrymanuals.com . Yours is a Gen 3 Camry.

Reply to
Nobody Important

== There is no vacuum hose wiring for the idle control valve. Inside the valve are ports which allow air to bypass the closed throttle valve. The signals are computer generated to monitor preset idle speed target. Usually stumble on cold start means the valve is sticking. You could try spraying lubricant or solvent into the rectangular inlet opening at the bottom of the throttle body right in front, or replace the valve. The likely cause could just be a poor electrical connection if it worked fine before. Try unplugging the connector, cleaning if necessary, or just unplug, re plug to see if you can get better electrical contact. Sometimes that area gets grimy, especially if you haven't replaced the distributor O ring which is nearby. By now it's most likely as brittle as a piece of porcelain.

Reply to
Daniel