No warning brake failure on 92

The right front bake line burst at the wheel on my mother's 92. I found out from the dealer today that the brake warning light will only indicate a problem with the booster? if the level is low in itself and not the reservoir or something to that effect. Of course it also indicates that the emergency brake is on. This is a frightening thought. I had thought that there were two separate systems and if one went out, braking with two wheels would still be available.

In addition the emergency brake did seem to pull up fine when parked, but the mechanic told me today that the drums weren't in contact and he couldn't stop the car until he threw it into neutral.

This problem started somewhat suddenly at a light the day before total failure. I found that the pedal was sinking too low. Things did not seem to get worse until the next day when they suddenly got so bad the car hardly slowed down at all. After filling the almost empty reservoir it poured out under the wheel well.

I was told today that this problem happened because my mother doesn't put enough mileage on the car and water gets into the fluid and causes corrosion. I don't remember if he specified highway trips or stop and go but I'm thinking that stop and go would help more. I have a 93 and don't put too much mileage on it right now because I work very close to my home. I wonder if I'm likely to have a problem too. I also wonder if she should have the fluid changed once a year or so. I think she puts on 3 to 4 thousand miles a year.

Any comments on the above?

Thanks,

Marc

Marc

While it is not written in the long term scheduled maintenance to replace hydraulic brake hoses, it is pretty well known in the industry that 5 yrs is the maximum those flexible hoses should be allowed to stay in service.

The Brake light can be triggered by (a) the parking brake being applied (b) the brake fluid level being low (c) anything there is a pressure difference during brake application between the front and rear hydraulic systems (d) in some cases, a sensor wire in one of each pair of brake pads making contact (ground) with the rotor (worn out pads).

And was it after this discovery that you continued to drive the car? I sure hope not!

Time passage and weather kills off these hoses. Rubber does not corrode.

The rule of thumbe seems to be fluid flush at all four wheels every 24 months ... unless you operate in an area known for prolonged high humidity. Then, change every 18 months or less.

Reply to
Philip®

Ah, there is 2 systems, your park and regular brakes.

Ah, so you never used the park brake (common on automatic cars) and this is what sets up the park brake.

Well, the system is seperated into 2 systems, front and rear on this model, the pedal will go lower if one fails, you will still have the other system, though, reduced.

Mileage has nothing to do with water in the fluid, brake fluid is hydroscopic by design and it can only hold soo much moinsture, moms was saturated. A brake fluid flush would of prevented this.

Reply to
MDT Tech®