Noise on 02 2.4 camry

The wife's car makes a sound when taking off. Hard to describe...like a car without an air cleaner. Just a vooooooom. lol They did replace the intake manifold but it wasn't a pining sound we complained about. After they listened to it and us more ,the dealer says this is how all the

02's 03's sound. Anyone else have a problem like this? 2.4 4 cyl Thanks........
Reply to
rb

johngdole

The 2.4 is based largely on the older 2.2L according to some motoring writers. My 2.2L also makes a "vroom" noise and an light rattling sound as the tacho goes thru about 3000 rpm. This latter noise is the heat shield as tests have shown, but the "vroom" sound is harder to diagnose. The inlet plumbing has an anti- resonance chamber, and this maybe the cause, but I'm more persuaded that the original muffler (11yrs old) is playing a part. One thing is for sure, the noise is not indicative of any serious problem, as expensive tapping or knocking quality to the noises is absent. Try removing the air-filter, then go for a short test drive. If the vroom noise gets louder, its a fair bet the inlet plumbing resonance is the cause.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The muffler isn't that old as the car is a 2002. The idea of the noise coming from inlet plumbing sounds like a good suspect for the problem.Can the anti- resonance chamber go bad or break? Is there a known fix for this problem? Thanks.....

Reply to
rb

I think Jason meant to say the muffler *design* hasn't changed in 11 years.

Is that what you meant, Jason?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

No I meant that as a muffler get's older, the internal baffles corrode away, reducing, one would imagine, the noise reducing effect of the muffler, hence the perceived "vroom" sound. My older Camry '95 seems noisier as well when I was recently on a long trip. It occurred during near wide-open throttle (WOT) at medium RPM (3000-4700 or so) when passing semi-trailers etc. Apart from that, I have noticed most engines during WOT do have a distinct noise which seems to be a mixture of exhaust/induction and possibly (this last one is just a theory) noise from the engine itself as the cylinders reach near maximum volumetric state, or in other words, the amount of gases being pumped by the engine reach near maxcimum.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

However this noise is not coming from the exhaust, rather from under the hood.

Reply to
rb

Listen to another car, but keep RPMs as low as possible till warm, id say under 1500

Reply to
m Ransley

"m Ransley" Do you answer just to answer? none of your posts are useful.