Noise when in reverse

My 1998 Toyota Camry makes a noise when in backing out of a parking space, but not when driving forward at regular highway speed. Does anybody know what causes this?

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

I think it was "Tuco Ramirez" who stated:

Stick or auto? Miles? Whine or groan or . . . what kind of noise?

Diagnosis is really difficult with your limited information.

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

It was the Power Steering Pump. I had it replaced as they told me I could damage the rack and pinion steering. When there is a leak from the PS pump, does it need to be replaced? I paid $400 for the replacement with a rebuilt pump, does that sound reasonable?

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez