noisy valves.. still

Same topic as earlier, 1990 camry, 4cylinder, valve lash waay out of spec. I shimmed all of my valves, and it sounds much better, but there is still a definite metallic rattle in the top of the engine. I've checked my valve clearance 3 times, and inspected the timing belt. I have driven the car around to see how it does under load, and at low rpm/high load, it is quiet. When I get to higher rpm it is very loud. I may just cut my losses and sell the car as is, or I may get a junkyard head and put on it. My thought is that maybe a valve or two is sticking down and getting smacked when the cam comes back around. Any suggestions?

Reply to
90camrydx

Like anybody here can hear it. Use a motor stethescope or a wood broom handle touching your ear, works to pinpoint the area.

Reply to
m Ransley

don't be sarcastic. no one likes a smartass.

Reply to
90camrydx

Overhead noise doesnt usually get drastically louder with revs. Because the clearance is static,..so is the noise to an extent. In an old engine (like over 10 yrs old or with more than 100,000 miles) stuck valves are AFAIK rare, because the valve guides are nice and free. If you have noisy bearings (meaning rod or bigend bearings), they can get noisy with loaded revs. The best way to test for them if you dont have an oil-pressure gauge, is to wait until the engine is up to temp (transmission in neutral), then gun the engine using the throttle cable at its bell-crank on the throttle-body. No need to rev it hard,..just bring it up to 2500 rpm suddenly then release the throttle. If the bearings are loose, you'll hear a definite "rat a tat tat" noise as the loose rod bearings load-up to increase engine speed. If that noise is absent, you may well be looking at something else, like a loose crank-pulley or more serious problems like excessive crank-endplay.

There's an old saying in mechanical circles: noises that get louder on load are bad,..other noises that dont,..dont worry too much about them :-)

Jason

This assumes you have the AC off. AC compressors can make noises of their own.

Reply to
Jason James