noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

I just replaced the timing belt in my 2000 Camry 4-cyl. I checked and triple-checked the camshaft alignment and that of the crankshaft pulley against the plastic scale on the lower cover. (Neither I nor a neighbor could find timing marks on the oil pump body or on the crankshaft timing pulley. Is the service manual wrong?)

The main question is this: Would I notice an error of one tooth? The car seems to idle at 600 rpm with the lights on, but somehow it "feels" different.

Thanks, Herb

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

Try a timing light, basic.

Reply to
m Ransley

Not a bad idea. Since the camshaft position triggers the spark and since the crankshaft pulley has 24 teeth, every tooth of error should displace the timing by an obvious 15 degrees (360/24). But that much timing error should be obvious from the behavior of the car. Do you know the normal timing at 700 rpm idle?

Thanks, Herb

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

Unless you use a light and set it to your specs you wont get anything right. Figure 1 mpg reduction for every degree retarded, just as an old stretched belt can loose you 3-5 degrees. You have wires to jumper, so buy a 10$ light, use your manual and get it right or Preignition might ruin your motor or poor milage and power will cost you, you cant guess on this one..

Reply to
m Ransley

If "an old stretched belt can lose you 3-5 degrees", a new belt can win back

3-5 degrees over the "norm" and cause the perceived slight increase in rpm. I like theory with my data. You've probably given the explanation, and to be sure, I'm going to inspect and retension per Daniel's append.

Thanks, H.K.

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

You dont get it, do you, unless you use a timing light you wont know anything, now you know nothing of its timing. Get a light and quit guessing

Reply to
m Ransley

Ok, I'll get a timing light. :-) What was the brand of that $10 light you mentioned? At the risk of asking a stupid question, which triggers the spark: position of the the crankshaft or of the camshaft? There's a position sensor on the crankshaft for sure. If it triggers the spark then the timing light won't answer my question.

Thanks, Herb

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

Im guessing at 10$, point is its cheap. The truth is your ignition system needs a baseline setting to work right, only a light will set it to the base setting. You probably have to jumper some wires so read your manual.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
johngdole