noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Threaded View

I just replaced the timing belt in my 2000 Camry 4-cyl.
I checked and triple-checked the camshaft alignment
and that of the crankshaft pulley against the plastic scale
on the lower cover. (Neither I nor a neighbor could find
timing marks on the oil pump body or on the crankshaft
timing pulley.  Is the service manual wrong?)

The main question is this:  Would I notice an error of
one tooth?   The car seems to idle at 600 rpm with
the lights on, but somehow it "feels" different.

Thanks,
Herb

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Try a timing light, basic.

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Not a bad idea.  Since the camshaft position triggers the
spark and since the crankshaft pulley has 24 teeth, every
tooth of error should displace the timing by an obvious 15
degrees (360/24).  But that much timing error should be
obvious from the behavior of the car.  Do you know the
normal timing at 700 rpm idle?

Thanks, Herb

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Unless you use a light and set it to your specs you wont get anything
right. Figure 1 mpg reduction for every degree retarded, just as an old
stretched belt can loose you 3-5 degrees. You have wires to jumper, so
buy a 10$ light, use your manual and get it right or Preignition might
ruin your motor  or poor milage and power will cost you, you cant guess
on this one..

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

If "an old stretched belt can lose you 3-5 degrees", a new belt can
win back
3-5 degrees over the "norm" and cause the perceived slight increase in
rpm.
I like theory with my data.  You've probably given the explanation,
and to be
sure, I'm going to inspect and retension per Daniel's append.

Thanks,
H.K.

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

You dont get it, do you, unless you use a timing light you wont know
anything, now you know nothing of its timing. Get a light and quit
guessing

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Ok, I'll get a timing light.  :-)   What was the brand of that $10
light
you mentioned?  At the risk of asking a stupid question, which
triggers
the spark:  position of the the crankshaft or of the camshaft?
There's
a position sensor on the crankshaft for sure.  If it triggers the
spark
then the timing light won't answer my question.

Thanks,
Herb

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

Im guessing at 10$, point is its cheap. The truth is your ignition
system needs a baseline setting to work right, only a light will set it
to the base setting. You probably have to jumper some wires so read your
manual.

Re: noticeable symptoms if timing belt is off by one tooth ?

I think Autozone or Pep Boys have free loaners in most locations.
Haynes manual will tell you which pins in the diagnostics connector to
jumper to put timing into "default mode". (Don't know at the moment).

Site Timeline