O2 sensor vs. Air-Fuel sensor

Hello All, I was wondering if the auto techies here can tell me the difference between these two. Apparently, my Camry 1999 I-4 has a code of P135 when Check Engine light came on. I referred to the Camry Haynes manual and it reports heated O2 sensor but am wondering if both of these are the same or are the functionalities different with each of these.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rohit Chadha

There are a number of mixture sensors which work by totally different means.

See this page for an excellent comparison of the O2 sensor vs a linear air-fuel ratio sensor

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Sorry MB ... you are in error. While the two are similar in appearance, they are functionally different and not interchangeable. Jason provided a good link for you to read:

--

- Philip Nov 20, 11:03pm Bridgeport, CA - Cloudy 24° F H35°/L10°

Reply to
Philip

Phillip, Thank you for correcting me. Do you KNOW of any other device that will do the job?

best respects, mb

Philip wrote:

Reply to
MB

Odd question ... considering the title of this thread.

The Air/Fuel sensor voltage signal is relatively proportional to the exhaust oxygen content. As the air/fuel ratio spans 12:1 to 19:1, the ECM monitored voltage spans 2.4 to 3.9 volts respectively. This is quite different from an O2 sensor whose produced voltage ranges from 1.0 volts at 14.3:1 down to

0.2 volts at 15:1 air/fuel ratio. The O2 can't tell the ECM how MUCH beyond a vary narrow range the air/fuel ratio has gone. This is why the two sensors are not interchangeable. To add to the confusion, there are those models that do use an O2 sensor before and after the catalyst but these systems use the 02 after the catalyst for a different purpose.

- Philip

Reply to
Philip