OEM rotots+brake pads or aftermarket ones

2001 toyota camry 4 cyl, 43,000 miles. Rotors are warped severely. (vibrations at any speed above 40mph while braking and a pulsating brake pedal even while coming to a gradual stop).

Should I stick with oem parts from the dealer or get rotors(Brembo @ $57.00 each) and ceramic pads(tirerack has a note that toyota recommends ceramic pad material) ($61.00 - $72.00 per axle set) from tirerack.

Dealer quoted $490.00 (parts+labor) for the job. Appreciate any insights about either option.

Reply to
pintoo

Can't they be turned? Usually they can be ground once before replacment. They may not really be warped. The latest theory is that the vibrations are caused by embedded pad material that can be removed by machining them.

Reply to
Art

"vibrations are caused by embedded pad material that can be removed by machining the rotors?"

Does it not strike you that in the course of removing "embedded pad material" that the rotors are made true again? LOL

--
  - Philip

"Art"  wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip

I replaced mine with raybestos top of the line ceramic and rotors and am very happy. Rotors are made in Canada. You can get them at rockauto.com for half price from auto store. Take a look. $500 is ridiculous

Reply to
specialkkl

Yes Philip and that is why I said it was the latest theory. LOL

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Philip

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Damn Man! Brembos for $57!!!!!

I'd do it. Before I learned how to do brakes (8 years ago) I was paying $57 for AFTERMARKET rotors!!!!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Get Brembo rotors which are better than OEM and buy OEM brake pads. Get a local shop to put them on.

Reply to
Rog
500$ a bit high, get bids if rotors measure thick enough cutting them will be cheapest
Reply to
m Ransley

them

Called dealer.. rotors are $ 99/- each and a pad set for $43/- (set of

4)....so assuming @ $ 250/- for parts(new shims grease etc)... would it cost $250/- for labor... the same dealer quoted $500/- for the job... One other question, the car has ABS. If I get the brake job done at a local shop, should the mechanic be asked to open the bleeder valve to let brake fluid out while retracting the piston (using c-clamp/pad separator device etc) -> to protect the ABS system from contaminants/particles in the piston?

Or is it safe to do this without opening the bleeder valve? Regards, Shirish.

Reply to
pintoo