OEM Tires on 2003 Camry LE (4 cyld)

I bought this new in 2003 . Now it has 39000 city miles on it. I have rotated and balanced the tires every 7500 miles. But recently I have been noticing that the OEM Continental Touring Contact AS tires have had significant loss of tread on the outside. I have also read bad reviews about this tire on

Has anyone had the same problem ? Any recommedations on new replacement tires ? Michelin or Bridgestone etc.

Reply to
zmshaikh

I just bought a set of Michelin X Radials from Costco (they are only sold through warehouse stores). They were highly recommended by Consumer Reports and I find them as quiet and comfortable as the Michelin Rainforce tires that came with my 99 model.

Reply to
Nobody Important

You reckon a manufacturing deficiency causes them to wear on the outside? It happens on the front wheels on every car & tyre I have ever seen. When the uneven wear is noticeable enough I swap them front to back (never to opposite sides), to make the most of what's left. They make a few assumptions recommending tyre rotation... like you're going to want to buy 4 new ones all at the same time.

Reply to
jg

Reply to
Charlie

Typical Toyota cheapo tires. One thing Toyota really skimps on fIMHO is OEM Tires on the mid-line LE models of Camry at least. My 2001 (Conntinental Tires were shot at 36k and would hardly get through snow when new. Tread wear was horrible and they would hydroplane in medium rain. My 2005 has Continentals also, they leave black marks on my driveway as they are quickly wear away backing out. No hydroplaning yet but terrible in snow.

REb

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

I suppose it depends on how you drive your 4 cylinder Camry. I think Yokohama makes good tires and provide good value especially compared to more highly promoted brands. For basic, well made, quiet, long wearing tires at a reasonable price you might want to check out the Yokohama Avid Touring line.

Reply to
Daniel

Uneven tire wear usually points to alignment problems. Toyota usually put Michelins on but you got cheapie tires on that one. I'd stay away from Bridgestone!

Have the alignment checked and go to Costco for the Michelin Energy Plus X-series radials.

Reply to
johngdole