Oil Change

Recently purchased a 2002 Camry 4cyl that was a one owner lease and has but

53000mi. The dealer changed the oil before I bought it and it has regular 5w-30 oil in it right now. I don't know what the previous owner used.

Am due for a oil & filter change now and the question is: Do I continue to use regular oil 5w-30 or would this be a good time to switch to synthetic 5w-30 ? If I do switch to synthetic, what change interfere would be recommended, I have always have been a firm believer in Oil & filter every 3000.

Thanks Jerry

Reply to
JJ

If you switch to full synthetic, you can go easily go 5-6-7K miles between changes. However, sometimes it is not best to switch to synthetic after a car has been running on conventional oil for so long, so you may want to try a synthetic blend, or at least use 10W-30 synthetic, especially if you experience any oil usage between changes (as a result of the slipier oil and engine wear).

I have a 98 Camry V6 with 60K miles, and have used full synthetic since 5K miles (2nd oil change), and have never experienced any noticeable oil usage between changes.

Reply to
Mark A

The major oil manufactures state you can go from dino to synthetic and back again with no problem. This subject has come up often in the Camry and other forums, might do a TN history search.

Reply to
toyomoho

For a 3000 interval dino oil will do fine. Going to synthetics may result in oil leaks through gaskets previously plugged by varnish from dino oil. Oil leak is the primary reason for not switching over to synthetics after long periods of using dino oil unless that engine has a sludge problem like the 2.2L and 3.0L.

JJ wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I knew there was several reasons for not switching to synthetic after the engine had be using dino oil. Makes sense not to switch to synthetic and continue to use "dino" oil. No oil leaks now and don't want any. No sludge as far as I can see by looking in the filler cap and no oil burning. Think I'll stick with "dino" oil @ 3000mi.

Thanks Jerry

Reply to
JJ

I knew there was several reasons for not switching to synthetic after the engine had be using dino oil. Makes sense not to switch to synthetic and continue to use "dino" oil. No oil leaks now and don't want any. No sludge as far as I can see by looking in the filler cap and no oil burning. Think I'll stick with "dino" oil @ 3000mi.

Thanks Jerry

Reply to
JJ

Your interpretation is not exactly correct.

There is no incompatibility with the oils (conventional and synthetic). This is obviously true since they synthetic blends, which are a combination of conventional and synthetic.

However, there may be problems with you engine after running on conventional oil for a long time and then switching to synthetic. This is because you will get a lot more engine wear with conventional, and synthetic is more slippery and can more easily get past the piston rings and values than a conventional oil, causing some problems. I think this can easily be addressed by using a synthetic blend, or by using a higher viscosity synthetic.

Reply to
Mark A

There are a lot of theories of where oil comes from, but dead dinosaurs is not a source that is generally accepted by scientists.

Reply to
Mark A

True, I think it's mostly from vegetation.

Reply to
JJ

I bought 02 V6 with 63kmi and swithced to syntentic. I think my car was somewhat abused by previous owners. I did have a few problems, which camry of this age\milage don't have.

I purchased a few dozen of quarts of Pennzoil full syntetic and keep changing it every 5-6kmi. No oil leaks and the oil looks brand new when I drain it. (or maybe this brand just don't darken much)

Syntetic does seem a little quaiter, but other than that I don't know if there's a real difference. Some people swear by it, others think it's a scam. I woudn't use it in American Engines because of the leaks, but in Japanesse I would if the price on syntetic oil is good.

One of the reasons I switched to this syntetic oil was the price. PepBoys had this oil for very cheap after 2 rebates (pepboys and manufactures). I basically got 6 quarts for $2 + tax. At the same time PepBoys had good deals on their oil filters (anywhere from 1c-99c after rebate), which I grabbed half a dozen. So, I was all set for a good 5-6 oil changes.

Also, Valvoline offers free syntetic once in a while. I managed to get 5 quarts, but holding it for later use (it's for high milage vechicles, so I figured I'll use it last) If the sysntetic wasn't that cheap, I'd stick with regular oil. I used regular in my 94 Accord and have not had any problems at all at 225kmi.

Reply to
lee_melnikov

message

conventional

I have a Ford with the Cleveland 351 V8. It has low oil-pressure once up to temp while idling. I tried using Mobil 1, which at the time was advertised as having a very wide viscosity vs temp range. I'm pretty sure it was 10-50. Anyway I had to go back to dino 20-50 because I could hear the rod-bearings once the engine was up to temp and cruising. It seems while synth has many advantages, it doesn't have the same film strength or some other property compared to standard oil.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Ive switched several high milage camrys to mobil 1 with no bad issues, only benefits.

Reply to
m Ransley

Synthetic oil just does not break down under normal driving conditions. The change over from regular oil to synthetic can be done at any time. My service book calls for oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles and that'w when I have my dealer do it.

I have a question for anyone: My dip stick never indicates the oil level is going down, like I just don't burn any oil between changes (it now has

Reply to
Richard Cheney

I have noticed the same lack of oil consumption on my 98 Camry XLE V6 using Mobil 1 (after 5000 mile break-in). I think this is normal for most Toyotas and Hondas, but not likely for American cars.

Reply to
Mark A

I have 110000 miles and use maybe 1/2 quart in 5000 miles

Reply to
m Ransley

I have a 2000 Avalon with 110,000 miles on her. She does not use any noticeable amount of oil between changes at 5k intervals. She has always had conventional oil.

Reply to
george