OIL FILTER and FUEL FILTER --90 Camry 4 cylinders

  1. I installed a new oil filter. But they gave me one for a V6 not a 4 CYL. It installed ok. can I use it or do I need to replace? It is on very tight and I can seem to budge it.

  1. I installed a new fuel filter and am getting some gas leakage from the bottom connection. Is there any special sealant that I should be using on the lowe connection??

Reply to
swbtmis

Oil Filter is different for 4 cyl. might want to go to store and compare the 2 filters tread and seal diameter. Fuel Filter, leaking, was the new cooper washer installed correctly on the bolt and torque down. No sealant should be used.

Reply to
jjjsan

There is no sealant or gasket required on the bottom fitting. It is a simple tapered compression fitting like those found on the end of brake lines. If it is not cross threaded and is seated fully, it should not be leaking. Sometimes it is tricky to get the threads started on those because with the rigid fuel line in the center of the fitting. Best idea is to unmount the fuel filter so both the filter and compression fitting can be moved around to get the alignment just right and start the threads in properly.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I dont see a place where a cooper washer goes on the bottom. I got 2 of them with the filter but I used them both on the top connection. one under the top piece and one on top of it.

what about teflon tape??

any ideas on me getting off the oil filter? very hard to get to.

Reply to
swbtmis

You will have to just set the washer on there and start threading it together.. least that is what I had to do with mine..

as far as the oil filter, try using a band wrench (but if you do that and bend the filter make sure u dont drive it again until u get a new filter on there). If that doesnt work, you will need a pair of pliers that are designed for removing tight oil filters.. if u end up snapping the oil filter (like when you twist a coke can and tear it in half) then u need to tow it back to the oil place u got it and have them change it and give u ur money back..

Reply to
Speeddy