oil gel class action suit

I got a letter in the mail (my dad did too) re: the Toyota oil gel class action suit.

We haven't had any problems (yet) with our Camries (I have a '99, my dad has an '01, both 4-cylinders).

Would the dealer do a free inspection of the engines to see if there's any sludge formation?

Just wondering what luck anyone's had with the number on the class action suit, and what the dealer is willing to do.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you have been changing your oil on a regular basis (at least every 7500 miles), then it is very unlikely that you have a gel problem. If you have been using synthetic or synthetic blend and changing on a regular basis, then it is virtually impossible that you have a gel problem.

Reply to
Mark A

I changed my oil every 5-7k miles and it sludged up like nothing I had ever seen before. '99 Camry I4. After cleaning it up I changed oil at 3k mile intervals and never had another problem.

Reply to
Gary

Toyota cranked up the cylinder head temperature beginning in 97 (for the then new low emissions rating). That cooked the oil in the cylinder head and made it sludge up. You can own the 1996 5SFE 2.2L and won't have that problem.

You'll have to change oil much more often than spec on some engines is the only way to avoid it.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Or use a full synthetic.

Reply to
Mark A

How did you clean it up?

Reply to
mrdarrett

I got my '99 I4 used, 66k miles. Was a lease vehicle. Looked under the valve covers, and there wasn't any sludge there that I could tell.

But, I get blue smoke on startup. Is this normal, or a bad sign?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Unless you removed the valve covers (not sure what you did) you will probably not be able to tell if you have sludge.

Smoke at startup is not unusual for a 99 Toyota, especially if it goes away when the car is warmed up. It usually is an indication or warn valves. But if the smoke continues after warm-up, and especially if there is any smell like burning oil, you might try a high mileage oil like MaxLife.

If the smoking does go away after warm-up, and you want to guard against sludge in an older car, I would try a synthetic blend oil in a 10W-40 weight, which is sometimes sold as synthetic blend for small trucks. For a new car starting out on synthetic I would use 5W-30.

Reply to
Mark A

I have no affiliation with this company. The product began as a cleaner for industrial printing inks.

Reply to
Daniel

VW had a similar problem with their turbo 1.8L engine. And they went to a larger oil filter and increased oil capacity (dunno how they did that) and had a specified list of synthetics to use apparently not all synthetics quialify.

Mark A wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Valve guide seals are probably leaking. Very common on those engines.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

What did the letter exactly say?

Reply to
EdV

It just reminded people that the warranty has been extended, and it covers any damage due to oil gelling. I forgot the exact terms, but I believe that a 1999 model is now out of warranty, even with the extension.

Reply to
Mark A

mrdarrett

Thanks for the link.

The original post was only asking if the dealer is willing to do free inspection? And this expires on Dec 30, 2006. I suggest you bring your car to the nearest dealer and show them your letter and insist that you are not willing to pay for this inspection and necessary repair.

By the way, is it clear to what is the acti> EdV wrote:

say?

EdV