Oil Gel or Sludge / Valve Noise Question

I've got a 1998 Toyota Camry. The previous owner didn't do regular oil changes and I get what sounds like valve noise when the engine is cold and even sometimes when idling when warm.

I'm thinking it is oil gelling / sludge that is blocking the oil to the top end of the engine but even with very aggressive flushing during the last few oil changes, the noise persists. Any globally known problems I'm missing?

The "tap tap tap" or "chattering" sound comes from up near the alternator but the alternator itself has been ruled out as a potential cause. The noise is quite loud IMHO. For perspective, it is about 50% as loud as an idling lawn mower with a good muffler and no hearing protection.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

(908) 542-0244

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

You do not 'know' anything until you remove the valve cover and LOOK.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Very true, but a step I'm trying to avoid with a known fix for the sludge problem - if it exists...

That's my next choice I suppose.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Like plaque in your arteries, you are free to believe whatever you want but until you do the angiogram ... beliefs are really just fears.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to