Overheating/coolant leak

I have a cylinder 1996 camry (1mzfe) 170 000 miles.My car overheated once and there was a hole in the coolant bottle replaced the bottle added coolant and car was fine for a couple more months.The car then was about to overheat again cooolant level was low again.There was some liquid by the waterpump so figured the water pump was leaking but when I removed it it looked fine.The is no white smoke coming out the tail pipe that I can see and when I changed the oil it looked clean.I have been told it could be a head gasket is there a test I can do that will confirm whether it is the head gasket ?

Thank you for any suggestions

Henry

Reply to
hjackows

If there is coolant leaking from the water pump, and if the water pump is the original one, there is a good chance it needs replacement. When you removed the water pump, did you install a new one or did you re-install the old water pump? Is coolant still leaking from the water pump? Has the radiator cap been checked?

I think your overheating is caused by low coolant level, and the low coolant level is caused by a leak somewhere like the water pump and/or the radiator cap.

A compression check with bad results can point to a bad head gasket, but note that a compression check with good results does not necessarily rule out a head gasket problem.

If there is motor oil in the coolant reservoir, then there is a good chance the head or head gasket is leaking.

Reply to
Ray O

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
EdV

Henry, that waterpump is no good. After years of service, they start to leak thru the drive shaft seal. This leakage exits thru a small hole in the pump housing. This is always a bad sign and it always gets worse. Make sure the water you saw is *actually* coming out of that hole and not out of a pin-hole in a hose nearby. With a car that old, you need to keep an eye out for leaks at least once a week. The best thing is to replace all hoses if you can afford it and use coolant to stop the buildup of rust in the system.

There maybe a proper coolant filling arrangement to stop airlocks,..other posters may know of this. A workshop manual is a good thing with vehicles getting on in years.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

You are talking about a 1996....

That is hogwash IMHO.

I have a 92 Corolla Wagon.

I change the water pump every second timing belt change (every 120,000 miles).

The Radiator hoses were changed after 8 years and they looked like new.

I flush the radiator every year or so and install Toyota Red anti freeze and distilled water.

My system does NOT require a weekly inspection.

Take care of your car and it will take care of you!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion,..a large percentage of overheats with attendant expensive repairs, are due to a $10 hose failure.

Good for you, now what makes you think a hose will last indefinately?

NASA would be interested about what substance they are made of , or didnt you test them for cracks or separation in the inner lining?

The weekly remark, was made in absence of a complete hose-change and the original waterpump in use.

To leave hoses 10 years old in a car is OK as long as you monitor them and the temp-gauge closely.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

You have to rule out all the more likely coolant leaks first. These are hoses and the pump as other have mentioned. The radiator core or o-rings under the plastic tanks can fail, or the plastic tanks themselves can have hard to see hair-line cracks. The weighted vacuum valve on the radiator cap can be a problem as they don't seal very well if there is any contamination. I'd change it to cap with a spring loaded vaccuum valve.

After all these places are plugged you can then do an extended cooling system pressure test and/or a combination with cylinder a leak down test. If a head gasket is bad, air can come out of the next cylinder's spark plug hole or radiator (among the many places for other cylinder problems).

Sure, earlier 1mzfe's have head gasket problems. If the problem turns out to be the head gasket, you have to determine the cause first (other than plain old age) and solve it. Otherwise the replacement gasket will fail the same way. I'd recommend FelPro head gaskets here, about $50 online for each cylinder bank. If you need to replace the head gasket then the block and head also have to be inspected if overheated.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole