Oversteer - cool

Driving waay out in the country, at the posted 65 MPH limit when all of a sudden my turnoff appeared - not a graduated gentle freeway type curve but a sharp 90 degree turn. I know I could have slowed down, made a U turn and come back, but instead pressed on the brake and turned the wheel. I slowed but was going too fast to make the turn. I'd always been told that front wheel drive Camrys with most of the weight up front will understeer or plow ahead under loss of traction. Since I'd learned to drive with rear wheel drive my reactions are more geared to losing traction in the rear first, and compensating with steering inputs. That's exactly what happened, rear end broke loose slightly and easily made the turn. (There was flat smooth dirt all around and not another car in sight, so missing the turn would have caused no damage.) Perhaps this proves my suspicion that Toyota recommends equal tire air pressure front and rear to create a tendency to understeer under extreme conditions which can be safer for the unskilled driver. I run about three pounds more air pressure in front based on tire loading and ride qualities. Resulted in nice predictable handling. 'Cause I don't know how to correct understeer apart from easing off the brakes to regain traction, whereas letting the back slide can rub off speed without loss of control. Cool. Probably never happen again, but nice to know the car didn't just plow ahead understeering right off the road.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Somthing similar happened to me last winter, on the OE Turanza tires (bad bad bad in snow and ice). On a snowy night I was trying to make a left turn and wasn't going that fast either. I turned the wheel, but the car just kept going straight toward the curb. ABS pumping, but it can only do so much if you have no traction. The only way I could correct this was to lift the handbrake with the steering wheel all the way to the left in order to "steer" the car from the rear!

Thank God I didn't slam the curb.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

The 4 cyl has the engine sitting nice and rearward moving the weight distribution towards the centre of the car and the wide-track, good suspension design with independant rear (not just a beam-axle) make the Camry a very enjoyable car to drive. Excellent handling,..a bit understeery. That situation you had sounds like a skid-pan with the gravel :-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James