Paint chips

My 1 year old silver Camry had hundreds of paint chippings all over the body. Some of them are big (about2 mm in diameter).

Do you have any suggestion of a kit to repair the paint?

Thank you Jim

Reply to
Jim

If you mean all over and it is failing without being hit by road debris , you are on to something new, a defect. Silver paint fails and metalics fail faster. But to fail after 1 year no.Id go to the dealer and contact toyota usa. File a recorded complaint, and google paint failure as you wont be the only one.You have something that is bad and will only get worse, looks like a defect, and it is possible stripping to metal and repaint will only cure it. As repainting over failing paint is never recomended. Has it been parked in a garage, or in sun alot. UV and sun heat is causing the failure. Where is your location. What year is it , are you in warranty

Reply to
mark Ransley

You should do an exact count of chips , and look carefully for cracks, count them to,, where it will soon fale. Your roof , trunk and hood should have the most. It is possible your car was a repaint ? Cars get damaged prior to sale, and sometimes will be repainted as matching metalics is tricky. Is any area not failing, this would indicate that area was not repainted. The more i think about it a repaint is the cause.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sorry, about lack of details. Most of the chippings are located on the front, that makes it plausible that debris caused them. Camry is a 2002 V6. Car kept in the garage over night.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Still 200 chips, 1yr old , I have a 91 with 5 chips on the front. Paint doest fail like that, unless you drive gravel roads behind cars. or drive behind gravel trucks. And i will bet you dont, Right ! Front hood to ? To bad no photos, You still have a warranty issue. Think about how it will be in 10 years, from what you say , with acelerated weather degradation from UV you will have 4000 chips and rust holes, everywhere. .

Reply to
mark Ransley

See if you can flake the paint off a chipped area with your finger nails making the chip larger, it should not come off. For some reason , something isnt bonding, are you chipped to a different silver paint , primer or metal.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Can't compare a 91 to a recent car. The manufacturer's now use paint that emits less gases into the atmosphere during the painting process. This new paint chips must more easily.

Reply to
Mark A

No way , 200 chips in a year. or cars wouldnt Sell , we would be buying Hondas...... no Retail. no Resale.....its a Failure of toyota.............or the dealer............

Reply to
mark Ransley

BS MARK A , Paint doesnt fail like that..........

Reply to
mark Ransley

Mark, maybe he should of ordered the optional "force field"???

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I never said that 200 chips was normal or acceptable. But the fact is that paint chips are more common on newer cars (because of the environmentally friendly painting process) than on cars made in the early 1990's.

Reply to
Mark A

thats ok we are all learning , and I will apoligize to, but if this is no troll than he is SCREWED. in 4 to 7 yrs his paint will Really Fail , as UV takes time to work in .

Reply to
mark Ransley

it is up to this guy to be more explanitory as to his unique problem

Reply to
mark Ransley