Passing Inspection with Charcoal Canister Needing Replacement?

My '99 Camry has 160 k miles on it and diagnostics say that the check engine light is on because of problems with the Charcoal Canister. There have been some posts on this a while back, but no definite conclusion on what to do--some people said you can pay $400 to have the part replaced and the engine light still stays on....

I'm facing the decision of whether to try to keep the car for another year (also needs tires) or ditching it and buying the new Accord (which my mechanic likes better nowadays than Camry's).

Would appreciate it if anyone had advice on what the options are to deal with the canister issue (there's no effect on engine performance that I can discern..) I'd hate to pay for tires, canister and still not pass inspection in a few months....and my 4 cylinder Camry has always been annoyingly under-powered....etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Reply to
JonLPXC

If the canister is the problem and you have it replaced, why would the light stay on? Maybe the shade tree mechanics who are replacing the canister themselves misdiagnosed the check engine light to begin with. I hate to say this, but maybe a dealership might be the best place to go. I know it'll cost, probably $500 minimum, but your check engine light will be off after that...or they'll make good on any subsequent problem with it. Not sure which direction you should take with getting a new car. There's alot of factors going into that decision...is your job stable, your company healthy etc. Recession dead-ahead, but there's nothing like the confidence of driving a brand-new car. My advice, have it repaired, get that light off, buy new tires, and when smog time comes around...pray for some dispensation.

Reply to
CamryMan98

I have an `02 Camry -4 and the vacuum switch was diagnosed as faulty by a dealer I USUALLY use.(Code reader)

However his price for replacing the carcola canister and built in , non serviceable vacuum switch was : $650.00 Canadian.

Being of a sceptical mind , I called two other dealers in the Hamlton ontario area and was quoted about $160.00 Canadian for the same thing .

Sensing there was something wrong here , I called Basil Toyota n Lockport NY and they quoted me a price of around $330.00 to replace the canister with biult in vacuum switch.

Since Lockport is only about an hours drive from Hamilton and I go to the US to shop every two weks, I will have it done there when my e- test is due next August(2008)

They also told me that it was not a seperate unit but the whole cansiter had to be replaced.

I suspect the other two shops in Canada either didnt know that was the situation on that year Camry or they would tell me when they were working on it and discovered that the whole thing had to be replaced , it would be more money.

My solution to that would be to get a written estimate BEFORE they started work , then by law ,they cannot charge MORE than 10% of what was included in the estimate price.so that would be only $16.00 Canadian, (about).

Lets see them wiggle out of that one LOL

I believe they have the same law in the US?

The original shop told me ALL makes seem to have this vacuum switch problem, but I rather doubt that ?

Can anyone give me some insght into this statement?

Also I find it unusual that ther are no aftermarket parts for something like this ?

Reply to
mred

Some mechanics prefer Accords because Accords need more repairs, more often than do Camrys.

I test drove both the 4 and the 6--opted for the 6, a VERY easy decision...as Camrys with the 6 come with much stronger suspension. Essentially, an entry level Lexus.

Reply to
sharx35