PLEASE HELP

First its not a toyota but seek help immediately.

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 4 cyl.

I just had the timing belt/ and timing tensioner changed. I paid the man, took the car and was getting some slight pinging. Went pay, the turn the distributer about an inch and things were fine. Came home when for run later that day and the no compression.....no power....spuddering.

Went back to mechanic had compression test done and the results were.....175 on cylinders 1 and 2.....and 25 on 3 and 4. He tells me the head gasket is gone between those two valves low on compression.

My question is would have it jumped the timing....and if so would this cost the low compression in 3 and 4 cylinder? its strange to me the car was fine then just as I have the belt changed this happens.

Please help thanks

Reply to
PCMAN

were.....175

Cant see a direct connection unless this engine is ''interference and the valves have bent. Is it making a loud noise? Hope its not this,...otherwise its blown a head-gasket and the guy who did the job on the timing belt, should be avoided in future if he left the dizzy out of adjustment.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Jason. ITs a non interference engine.....so the possibility of bent valves is slip to none. Its not making a loud noice...just no power, missing, spuddering etc.....any other suggestions.

power....spuddering.

this,...otherwise

Reply to
Devils Advocate

When a compression test is done, the valves both close as the piston moves up the bore on the compression stroke. If the valve timing has slipped bigtime then this will not occur or at best occurs late (or too early) hence giving bad comprssion figures.

I'd get the timing belt checked out then do a comp test if the car still runs badly after a valve retime (belt fittd properly) If they're down then the head gasket comes into play again

Jason

Reply to
Jason James