Please help... need to remove AC controls from dash

Hi,

There is an annoying rattle inside my dashboard that the Toyota people either can't find or don't want to trouble themselves with. I've brought it to them three times now, and still the rattle persists.

Searching this group, I found a link to the following web site that explains how to remove the stereo from the 2002-2003 Camry

I have a 2004, but the images look almost identical to the setup in my car.

Step 1 says to "Pry AC controls from dash releasing four clips. (This may take some pressure.)" but I can't figure out for the life of me how to accomplish this. It doesn't suggest any method for "prying" the panel off. Flat head screwdrivers come to mind, but with my luck, that would turn out to be the "worst" solution.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Brian

Reply to
Brian

either can't find or

times now, and still the

explains how to remove

car.

take some

this. It doesn't

come to mind, but with

Try using a thin blade paint-scaper to pry the surround off. These are cheap (a couple of $) and come in narrow widths. A 1 1/2" wide would be ideal. Screwdriver blades are too narrow and are more likely to cause damage.

In older cars, they used to use lots of philip-head screws to hold dash's together,...today everything is a 'snap on' and then to remove,..lever- snap-break-falloff'

;- )

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

At WALLY WORLD, ( that's Wal-Mart for those who don;t already know this) they sell, a set of pick tools in the area near the paint dept at my local store, they are what I use daily to take off trim panels in almost every kind of car I work on. Anything that says "pry" will come off using the pick tool that is bent at a 90 degree angle. All of the picks have sharp points, and can be inserted without damage . the pick itself is very thin gauge and usually strong enough to do the job. There are four pick tools in the package, the price is roughly four dollars ( in Dallas, Texas area) one is bent at a 90 degree, one is straight, on has a dental pick shape to it with several bends, that make it useful for many things that don't require a very strong tool ( such as removing "o" rings and small rubber washers and such) the fourth one is what I call the "shepherds staff" it is about a three quarter round loop with the pointed end,........hooks onto small objects that have been dropped beyond the typical finger reac. Usually best if whatever it is has a "handle" to pick it up with.

It's worth every penny to own them, and if you know where they are when you need them it's a huge plus. A great toolbox item.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks for the tips. When attempting to pry the AC panel off, I obviously want to be careful not to break the clips. Are the clips easy to break? I would hope not. Basically, I'm trying to get an idea as to how much force to exert here. Do you insert the pick in (or near) the corners of the panel and pull straight out?

I'm at the point where I don't want to lose yet another day's use of my car while the Toyota people "work" on the problem, but I don't want to mess the panel up either.

Oh, and yes we refer to Wal-Mart as WALLY WORLD here in Alabama, too. :)

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Insert the pick tool about a half inch below the top edge of the AC control (either side), and rotate the pick tool to make the pick lock in behind the trim piece. It should only take a quarter turn. From the "how to" page you posted the picture where he has popped the piece loose already has some clip pieces at the top of the ac controls, one on each side. They appear to be about a half inch long or so. You will be trying to turn the pick tool to the area beneath the clip, but to the side...........it should take a fair amount of effort to get the control panel loose. However, It should not break on a 2004 model unless it's extremely cold in Alabama this week. New plastics are very strong, cold plastics are very brittle. Old plastics can be any variety in between...................Yank pretty hard Dood.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Cold in Alabama? in September??? ROFL

Seriously, though. Thanks for the advise. I'm fairly sure that I am following you. I was thinking of attacking the problem from the area between the AC and radio panels, but from what I gather, you suggest inserting the pick from the sides of the AC panel slightly underneath where the clips are. Is this correct? Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I like to do things right the first time. :)

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

you. I was

panels, but from

slightly underneath

to do things

You have the right Idea...............The Dash is padded around the outside edges, and may "bend" a little, but will return to its orifginal shape...............if you start between two hard plastics, one of them has to give, and that means it will leave permanent damage.

Good questions, and I am pretty certain you will have success.