possible tuning soft brakes?

Hi, all,

I test drove two 2004 new Camry this morning. The major concern for me on the basic LE 4 cyl auto tranny model is the soft brake. Now I understand why some people say those soft brakes on Camry can make you heart attack some time. The other vehicle, SE V6 auto tranny, doesn't seem to have this problem (maybe they thought the people driving a sporty Camry needs a more responsive brake :)

I wonder what mechanical mechanism causes those soft brakes and if they can be tuned by the dealer or a mechanic after the purchase. Thanks.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

I bought a new 2003 Camry XLE right before the 04's were released. My brakes were very soft also, so much that they said it was dangerous to drive and that I needed a new Master cylinder. It is much better now, don't have the "heart attacks" when trying to stop. I have notcied that when going over a bump and then applying the brakes, the anti-lock systems kicks in, sometimes it can be a little unnerving!

Reply to
Stevie Ray

Oops, "master cylinder"? That doesn't sound a good news. So the dealer replaced a new master cylinder for you on a brand new Camry?

I wonder if there is something you can tune in the brake system instead of replacing a new master cylinder, the heart of the brake system as far as I know.

Reply to
Patrick

By ' soft' brakes you mean the brake pedal has a spongy feel ? Unless all Camrys of that model have the same feel, there is little that can be done. There is a reaction- washer in the power brake-booster which has a direct effect on pedal-feel. Whether this is the cause and not just that particular car having air in its hydraulics,..I don't know.

See if you can drive another car of the same year and model to compare.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I got the front brake pads replaced on my '02 SE V6 Auto. When I left the dealer, the brake pedal did feel soft and spongy, and did travel very far. I drove right back, and the shop rep told me that it's normal, and that it will take a little while for the feel to return to normal. "It's just the nature of the beast!" were his words.

He was right, the brakes firmed up within the same day.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim