Power steering fluid

How often should I change this?

Thanks

Reply to
aiuser

By the way, its a 2000 Camry V6.

Reply to
aiuser

I dont know if the manual says ever, I sucked mine out with a meat baister at 70000m , it was black. Many models use ATF fluid, look on the cap for your correct fluid.

Reply to
m Ransley

================================ Call your dealer and get the price for a new steering rack (installed) then decide. Pump and rack seals, - fluid seals generally, last longer with cleaner fluid. A battery bulb, for a few dollars, makes changing the fluid in the reservoir simple and quick. You won't get it all that way, but if you change it at oil change intervals a few times you'll see a noticeable improvement in the appearance of the fluid.

Reply to
Daniel

FYI:

I changed the PS fluid in my 94 Camry V6 for the first time in 2002 (95k miles), using Valvoline ATF. Within 4 months, the pump and both sides of the rack were leaking fluid. I replaced them both with new $factory$ parts, and used Pentosin CHF 11S, synthetic PS fluid (green can), available at VW, Porsche and Volvo dealers. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

Reply to
Jim

According to my car manual (91 4 cyl), the fluid should be dextron II. Should I stick with ATF or switch to PS fluid, like Jim suggested? How can I tell which PS fluid is right for my car besides Dextron? I read some descussion about this issue before, but I have never got a final answer.

Reply to
bauz

If the manufacturer says ATF, then it is probably okay. GM stopped using ATF a long time ago in the common applications I know of.

Unfortunately, long ago and before I learned of this, I used ATF in my Buick Regal. Failure ensued rather quickly.

Reply to
<HLS

My '92 was leaking. I went looking for Dextron II ATF. I was told at the shop that what's being sold as just plain old power steering fluid is the same thing. There are just a couple of manufacturers like Volvo that use a mineral oil based stuff. I got some that was supposed to stop leaks and lube the seals. It worked great. No more leaks.

Reply to
Butzmark