power steering fluid leak

I have a 95 toyota camry.I need to replace the rack and pinion of power steering.This is going to cost me $600.I am trying to do it myself as I can't afford to spend so much. Can someone suggest me suitable jack stands for 95 toyota camry? I also need step by step instructions to replace the rack and pinion of power steeing.Thanks in advance.

Reply to
sonali via CarKB.com

=============== Just use generic 2 ton jack stands. Place at the front subframe.

For instructions, see "Steering" section:

Daniel

I had an fluid leak on my 95 Camry 4 last year. Approx 78k Miles. Had it checked at local garage. Told it was the steering pump leaking. The pump was quoted at £400.00 Plus £200 fitting.

But I was not loosing fluid at all in the Dash pot I did mention this. I think it went over there heads.

You may of course have bad steering I don't know.

I got a bottle of Gunk and cleaned all the back and top of the engine down. Water on to wash clean. Very difficult to see back there. But a mirror and touch helped.

The leak was from my Rocker Box cover. It was leaking in the rear left corner. Draining on to a little pipe. Which then changed the direction of the leak to direct over then onto the Power steering pump.

A half turn on the nuts holding down the gasket cured my problem. I ordered a new gasket. Its not been needed yet.

Comment from garage. " well your lucky "

Year lucky not to be ripped off.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Hey Daniel, Thanks a lot.I recently baught 2 ton jacks.Now I will get started soon!!

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
sonali via CarKB.com

The leak may be outside the steering rack, in which case you do not need to replace the rack itself. Have you checked the sources of the leak?

With a car this age, you may have the steel lines leaking, either leading to the rack valve, or away from it. It depends on version.

RichK

Reply to
RichK