power steering fluid leak

fluid lost in 450 miles highway = movement from max to min hot where to begin leak search? would a flush/fill with different fluid specs? would a "sealer" be safe? THNX in advance

Reply to
CHMS

Sealers are no fun. If the car's a trasher, try it. If it's something you want to keep, try this: Jack the car up, both sides, so the wheels (front, of course) are JUST touching the ground. Start the car and have someone turn the weel from lock to lock while someone else scopes out the front of the car. You're lookig for two places: the rack and pinion, near the ends, or the high pressure hose. The rack will be about $200 reman'd, the hose about $65 new aftermarket.

Reply to
hachiroku

i bought a sealant from napa. worked good for me. never had a problem since.

Reply to
micompanion

agree, find the source of leak first. check power steering pump rack & Pinion PS high pressure hose. PS return hose.

I has similar leak, mech said Rack and PS Pump leaking and needed replacement. I traced source to leaking High Pressure Line. Cost $30

Reply to
jjjsan