Power Steering Froze on my '91 Camry LE.

While she was driving my daughter said that the steerin wheel froze ( couldn't move at all). After she pulled over I told her to push the button next to the ignition key and then the steering improved. Not sure if this really corrected the problem. Checked belts and PS fluid. Seems OK.

Any ideas?

P.S. 249,000 miles.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

What button is that? If the PS became inoperative or reduced in function, the easiest things to check first are PS oil-resevoir being the correct level (not low or empty) and the PS-pump belt tension to check its not either too loose or oil-fouled and slipping.

If it passes these tests, its time to take the car to a reputable mechanic.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The key is probably worn out like mine. You can pull it out in any position. But pushing the button normally locks the steering column and lets you get the key out, it would seem the button had popped itself in although I can't see how it would happen & hasn't happened to me.

Reply to
jg

Shit!!! I just realised he meant the steering locked!!! Make sure the key stays in or better still, get another one cut. When they cut a new key they make sure any wear is compensated for, and as such the key shouldnt come out. On the otherhand if the fault lies in the actual locking/button mechanism, get it repaired quickly. A new assembly from a wreckers or breakers yard would be the go as new parts would cost a heap.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Yeah... scarey, but I can't see how that can lock the column - only danger I can see is losing the key with motor running, can't turn it off or lock the steering. It's probably the tumbler worn, but one from a wreck would be just as bad.

Reply to
jg

Sounds like someone not familiar with the car

Reply to
m Ransley