Power steering leak

My sister and I bought this Toyota Camry 1997 V6 5 months ago. It has been running great and the engine is very quiet. Last couple weeks ,we heard noises when we tried to make a turn and noticed couple of drips on the driveway. We refilled the power sterring fluid and it ran out two weeks afterward. I took it to mechanic last weeks. He said that there are many leakages; power steering pump, hasket, and rack...( My sister and I do not know anything about car at all!). He estimated that the total cost will be $1000. He also suggest that I should put in $700 to replace my timing belt.

Please help!

Thank you very much

Reply to
Monapanitan
700 US to relpace a Timing belt, You need a different honest, mechanic. What type of fluid was used , many models take ATF in the power steering unit. The resivour will say what it takes.
Reply to
m Ransley

Bring it to a Toyota dealer. You probably need a new power steering rack which is expensive but they usually have timing belt specials for $300. Don't stay with your mecahnic.

Reply to
Art

Agree,...there are some mechanics (like any specialty) who charge prices which are in excess of normal. In some countries there is a schedule (usually government issued) which indicates hours required to do most jobs on all makes of cars.

I would ask around (neighbors, shop staff etc etc) for a mechanic-shop which charges reasonable prices and has a good name for quality of work.

The shop I use (more and more these days) charges as little as 50% of dealer charges for some jobs and does a good job mostly. On the odd occasion something is not right, they fix it for free.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I wonder if he meant Canadian $ rate, either way second opinions are always good.

I just had my brakes done by a friend, the last 3 places to look at them said I had only 3000m left on the fronts [ 5000 miles ago ] pro shops like Midas, Carx etc . Well my friend pulled them off and comparing old pads to new I had perhaps 50% left or 30,000 miles left, What BS mechanics do.

Also new rotors can be bought for 14$, consumer retail. Turning a rotor costs 15$, You may be saying , What Quality , but I assure you My last MIdas rotors were junk metal anyway.

Took my parents Caddy in for a warranty coolant leak, the service manager said "You Need Brakes and a Mini tune up, 570 for brakes and

590 to clean injectors , plugs and air filter. He said the front brakes and air filter were original on his computer , My receipts proved he is a liar, they did the work last year on front brakes and air filter. Point is there are alot of Dishonest mechanics- shops out there
Reply to
m Ransley

Actually, all told, $1000 may not be such a bad deal, *if* it includes his $700 timing belt. That means he's only charging $300 for the steering tack and the pump, and while he's at it have him throw in a high-pressure hose for good measure. The rack alone is about $190 with about $100 for labour; the pump is about $60-75 with about $50 labour.

If you can show him these postings, perhaps he can back down on the price of the timing belt (Toyota's price is $300). Maybe he was talking about the water pump at the same time?

BTW, you don't say how many miles. Timing belts are good for 60-100,000 miles, and if you know the old owner you may be able to pinpoint when the last timing belt was installed, perhaps the closest Toyota dealer will have this info...

Reply to
hachiroku

The hoses can leak on these, thats cheaper to fix check that first. If it is the rack a rebuilt one costs about $250 with $200 for installation. Dealer only charges $300 or less for a V6 timing belt. I would find another mechanic!

Reply to
ROBMURR