Power Window Switch??

I know this is a Camry board but I need help with my Lexus that shares many parts with the Camry. Thanks.

I have a 96 ES with a dead passenger side power window switch. The driver control won?t operate the window either; guess they are wired together. Seems like a broken spring as the switch just flops up and down now.

How hard is this to fix? I know I can replace a switch if I can get to it. What is involved in disassembling the arm rest? Any step by step help available. Is the switch a Camry unit (I hope), or Lexus proprietary?

Any advice is appreciated as I don?t want this to turn into a $400 dealer visit. Thanks.

Reply to
TANKIE

Seems

Go to the junk yard. Called around until you found one that has the similar model car. Some junkyard don't want to be bother with stuff like switches but most likely you will find a junkyard that has your particular switch.

If after swapping the switch still don't work, get a multitester and make sure the switch is working electrically.

failing that you need to open the door panel and check if the motor can run if you connect it directly with 12 volt . Make sure you are sure which is the connector to the motor otherwise you will blow the Power Window fuse which is below and inside the instruent panel . extra of work If that work next will be to check if the voltage goes tru the cable when you push the button. If not then most likely the cable that pass tru the door close to the hinge is broken. need to replace that one. Seldom but could happen the switch dies.

Most often is the cable that pass thru the door broke because of being flex so manny times troughout the life of the vehicle. The symptom usually windows can go up but can go down. or vice versa. or would not work completely.

Your car symptom of BOTH master switch and passenger switch does not work seems to point to either cable broke or something is wrong with the motor. I haven't seen a burnout power window motor yet so most likely cable problem.

Now time to approach your car with screw driver, small jumper cable (not the starting one) a multitester or sort. make notes and study the wiring schematic from repair manual.

It is probably time consuming but not that bad. Oh if suddenly everything won't work including the power lock , you have blown the power window fuse. On my Toyota Camry 92 it is inside and below the instrument panel. Need to open the instrument panel no biggie but more work. Dealer try to charge $200. Saying the master switch or control box broke. Yeah right.

Reply to
Sofjan