Problem installing new Antenna Mast 1993 Camry

Today I bought a new mast (Made by Metra) and after removing the old attenna I am not sure that all the old plastic toothed cable has been removed. I can only feed about 10 inches of the new attena's plastic toothed cable and then when retracting it only takes a few more inches. I could not even attach the attenna....wondering if I need to disassemble the motor and remove excess plastic from original attenna? Would welcome any other suggestions from those with problems with the motorized attenna replacement.

The Motor still works. I did go to Toyota's and Metra's website and neither was any help. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
WDMARK

wondering if I need to

Sounds like yes - if you've got broken old pieces in there restricting the movement of the new plastic gear strip, I don't believe there's any other way.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Yes, opening the motor and removing all the remnants solved the problem. I may have to post another message though....as I'd hoped that the replacement attenna (which I should have done 5 years ago), would fix a radio reception issue that just started earlier last week....I have no A.M. Band reception. New attenna made no difference so it may be the a.m. tuner or some loose connection.....shoot.

Reply to
WDMARK

If you are getting a signal from a nearby FM staion sounds like you have the antennor connector disconnected from one end or the other or possible a broken cable maybe near the antenna where you were working. AM in a car is very much affected by the lack of an antenna. I don't know how the connector attaches to the antenna. If all all else fails, one thing you could test with is a Radio Shack or other cheap car antenna connected directly to the radio.

Reply to
Marc

If FM works perfectly, chances are that the radio is defective. Usually whatever you use the most breaks the most often. FM would have static if the antenna wasn't hooked up properly.

Reply to
Rex

Reply to
John