problems of my 1999 camry

i just bought it and found the follwing two problems:

1)when its speed is over 70mph, i can feel vibration that increase as the speed continues up. i have changed 4 new tires (rotation and balance) and done alignment. But still the vibration exists. anybody can give a help? 2)during the period of speeding, the car is jerked at about 20mph and 40mph. That is the speeding is not smooth enough. is it a big problem? How can i fix it? thanks!
Reply to
yjhsjtu

You have a bad tire or bent rim or lousy balancer.

No idea what you mean, explain please, how many miles on car? Did you get any service records with the vehicle? Check engine light on?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Thanks for your reply.

1)the tires are new and good. i have let two guys balance them. so i think it is not the problem of tire or balance. maybe the rim caused vibration. But i am not clear about it. what is rim? how much to fid it? Pl give me a little introduction.

2)the milage of the car is 73k. i have no any service records for it. it is leased before and i bought it from a dealer. A mechanic has checked it and cannot find anything wrong. The problem is that the acceleration of the car is not smooth enough. It looks like being jerked at the speed about 20 mph and 40mph respectively. But it doesn't hurt my driving. The car has automatic transaxle. is it a big problem?

Reply to
yjhsjtu

The tire goes on the rim.. A bad CV joint a bent axle are possible. Jerking could be the transmission, Expensive . Maybe very much so. Return it to the dealer, you do have some sort of warranty I hope.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks very much! It is bad that the warranty covers only half of price during the first three months since i bought the car. i think i was cheated by the dealer and really don;t want to see the guy again. A mechanic balanced the 4 tires again and did alignment. He found that the right front strut is a little bending, which makes the car slides a little to either side. when the speed is over 70 mph, a minor vibration still occurs. But right now he is not sure whether the vibration is caused by the bending strut. Do you know the price for strut replacing?

Later, i will let other guys to check the cv joint and axles. From the ourise, the cv joint looks fine. Is it easy to conclude whether them works well? How much to change cv joint?

The jerking is not so serious and don't hurt my driving. i just wonder how long it can last.

Reply to
yjhsjtu

Sounds like an automatic transmission going through its normal upshift sequence.

Joseph

But as i know, for most of cars, even ones used over ten years, their transmission works very smoothly. you can not feel any jerking when the transmission go through its upshift sequence. meanwhile, i found that when the jerking happens, the tachometer decrese abruptly, such as from 2300 to

2000,etc. it looks really weird.

so i doubt the transmission still has some problem. just don't how serious it is and which kinds of reasons cause it. Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Reply to
yjhsjtu

I have a 2000 Camry LE 4 cyl. I bought it used with 29,000 miles on it and it now has 45,000 miles on it. When I bought it I noticed that when it shifts at 45 mph it has a slight jerk to it. I took it in and had a transmisson service done and now only 10,000 miles later the jerking is back and time for another transmission service. Toyota has had the car several times for inspection and says there is no problem. I don't think it's normal. I always thought Toyota was a failry smooth riding car. Mine has a hesitation at 45mph still. Does this sounds serious???

Reply to
kupoet

Dustin,

In article ,

Right around 45 is where the car engages the lock-up torque converter. On my car, the "kickdown" cable was bad so it was causing problems like what you're seeing, but perhaps more severe.

However, I did notice a few time with cruise control set at 40 or 45, the RPMs would jump around too. This is before a transmission service though.

People suggest you have the fluid drained and replaced every 15,000 miles. My fluid was less than 30,000 miles and it was very dirty, so I think 15k sounds reasonable.

Let us know how it feels after the transmission fluid serivce.

Regards, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

Jay,

Thank you for your concern. I plan on getting the transmission service completed again tomarrow 06/29/2004. I took the car out of town this weekend and it did horrible. I will let you know after I get it done how it turns out.

Thanks for your reply. Greatly Appreciated.

Dustin

Reply to
kupoet

I took the Camry in and had the transflush done and they said they didnt' see any problems with the way it shifts. They told me the "jerking" that I felt was the troque converter locking up and unlocking and thats normal. I don't know. I am not sure if it is going to always drive like this if I will ever buy another Camry. Just thought I would keep you posted on things.

Thanks for your input prior.

Dustin

Reply to
kupoet

kupoet wrote: || I took the Camry in and had the transflush done and they said they || didnt' see any problems with the way it shifts. They told me the || "jerking" that I felt was the troque converter locking up and || unlocking and thats normal. I don't know. I am not sure if it is || going to always drive like this if I will ever buy another Camry. || Just thought I would keep you posted on things. || || Thanks for your input prior. || || Dustin

Shifting should be flawless.

Reply to
SHARX

Dustin,

In article I took the Camry in and had the transflush done and they said they didnt'

Is it any better after the flush? The torque converter SHOULD engage smoothly.

If you suspect it's the torque converter, press the O/D button on the shifter which should disable it. See if you get your jerk around 40-45.

It's possible the motor mounts might be going. I'll talk with a Toyota mechanic to see if he has any more insight.

Regards, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the reply again. It still seems to be a jerky shift right around 45 almost like its always downshifting and upshifting and downshifting. According to Toyota Dealer that I took it to this time they said it was the Torque Converter. I will try your suggestion about the overdrive button tomarrow and let you know how it does. If that is what it is it sure isn't a smooth engage. I don't know I feel like Toyota is just stalling till my 5yr 60,000 mile warranty is up in September. If it has problems now they are responsible for it. :( I will let you know more when I find out. Please let me know what you find out from the Mechanic. Thank you

Reply to
kupoet

Dustin,

In article ,

Another possibility is the "Throttle Position Sensor" which (among other operations) helps transmission ECU to determine to lock/unlock the torque converter, etc.

A friend has a car much like yours and it's currently doing the same thing as yours (or sounds like it). He, I and the independant Toyota mechanic are STILL trying to figure it out. In his case if he "blips" the throttle around 40 or 45, the car will shudder, with O/D on or off. However, during normal driving, it shifts fine.

We haven't had the time to check/replace the motor mounts or the throttle position sensor...

The dealer mechanics have a "scan tool" which they can attach to your car and in real-time watch the outputs of various sensors in the car as they drive around. If they use this, it might help them to figure out what could be the problem.

For non-dealers, the scan tools that give you all the extended information can be quite expensive.

Document your problems as much as possible. If your car is under warranty, it's their *responsibility* to do something about it. Keep all your records in a folder, maybe even keep a table of when you did ALL the maintenence, at what mileage and so on.

If you have really good documentation that's enough to convince most people you won't give up without a fight. So either talk with the service manager, or write a letter to Toyota or call them.

If you have proof of these problems before the warranty expires and can show that the dealership did not honor the warranty, then Toyota is liable, so they will probably comply. If not, you can sue them and would probably win.

Please keep us posted.

Jay.

Reply to
Jay