Quantity of Oil left in engine after oil change?

Can anyone explain to me why it is that when I drain the oil from my engine (1MZ-FE) only about 3 litres comes out when its capacity is 4.7 litres and it was previously showing as "full" on the dipstick?

This has happened before. Is there some other tube or plug which needs to be undone in addition to the sump plug?

Do you have to take the oil filter off to allow extra oil to drain?

I drained the oil, replaced the sump plug, then replaced the oil filter and then put in about 4 litres and now the reading on the dipstick is about twice the length of the "full" mark!!

I don't think I better drive it anywhere till I figure this out??

Reply to
Flash Gordon

Uh, why would you change the oil and NOT the filter, too?

Reply to
Sharx35

Yes, your right. I did change the filter as well, but I'm wondering about the sequence. Does removing the filter free up more oil to drain out of the sump plug? I replaced the sump plug BEFORE I removed the filter and changed it. Would this account for the difference in collected waste oil from what the specs state or is it some other problem such as sludge?

Reply to
Flash Gordon

I stand to be corrected but a used oil filter just might hold upto a litre (U.S. quart, approx.) of oil.

Reply to
Sharx35

Sorry, but I don't know about the effect of the sequence of replacing the sump pump plug etc..

Reply to
Sharx35

The specs state that if your changing the oil for that size engine and the oil filter as well, then you can expect to pour 4.7 litres into it or 4.5 litres if your not changing the filter.

Now before I changed the oil the dipstick was ready just below full but when I drained the oil, I only got 3 litres in the drain pan. So that leaves approximatley 1.5 litres unaccounted for. To make things weirder, the dipstick still showed nearly full AFTER I had drained all the oil out. I checked this 3 or 4 times. Sounds like a blockage or sludge or something??

Reply to
Flash Gordon

Start the engine, let it run for a few seconds,..shut it down and re-dip the sump.It'll probably be nearer to normal then once the oil galleries and filter are full of circulating oil.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If it were me, I'd be removing the front valve cover (new gasket on hand) to check for sludge. Sludge can block the return drain holes that allow oil to drain back into the pan. You would also see totally black color oil on the dipstick, whereas when it is changed regularly, and then observed periodically one can see the color gradually darken over time, but never go completely opaque prior to the next change. Bottom line, if you drain the oil hot, it's supposed to come out. Even better is if you can let it drain over night, but that's only because it continues to drip for quite some time and helps remove the "dregs" not a significant volume of used oil. Also, the reading on the dipstick is the indicator of level in the oil pan so go by that. You may want to check auto-rx.com

Reply to
Daniel

You should be able to drain about 90% out. The other 5% is in the filter (you need to cut it open but it's not worth the trouble). And very little should remain in the oil pan. Removing the oil filter lets just a little more into the pan, but not worth changing your routine.

I agree with others that you may have a blockage in the cylinder heads. The rear bank is a bear to get to in that engine, but that's where the PCV system vents and likely where the sludge is building up.

Flash Gord> The specs state that if your changing the oil for that size engine and

Reply to
johngdole