Radiator Hose snap when engine is cool and inflated when hot and check engine light...

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 98 Camry I4 with 139K. Other than problems I know how to fix, there are two that I will need help from experts here in this group.

  1. Radiator hose (upper, engine return to radiator). I noticed that after the engine runs for a while or after a trip, the hose inflated and pressurized. I can touch it and feel the pressure. When it colds down overnight, the same hose snap inward. There is no coolant leakage or overflow I can tell. Car runs good. I did notice noise of coolant flowing into the heater-core with air in it while I drive.

I thought the air in the coolant system will eventually get release into the coolant reservoir but I notice no change in the coolant level in the reservoir.

I think this symptom suggest a plug in the system and most likely the thermostat. Am I right or far off?

  1. Check Engine light on the panel: The owner told me the check engine never comes up, not even when you first insert the key and turn to run position. He said (after a long story of repairs) he always returned to the same garage for emission sticker because other garage will fail his car because the check engine light is off. He suspected that the garage could not fix whatever cause the check engine light and decided to "disable" the light completely. I do have an Autel Code Reader and I can check if a MIL happens.

My question is how someone can disable the check engine light and how to restore it.

Many thanks !

Jonathan Yip Cambridge, MA

Reply to
Jonathan Yip

Take thee car back to thy previous owner. That car's got "serious problems" written all over it.

Reply to
01dyna

It is from a church friend and I acknowledge possible problems may be there as the owner is not very knowledgeable about car. Beside, the price is very low. I thought I can use minimum $ to fix most problems, then it will allow me to enjoy it for a long while. I do accumulate some auto tools over the years and have read quite a few service manuals already. So.... I thought I can handle everything comes to my way.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Yip

I think air is in the system or a bad radiator cap is not releasing, get a new cap and have the old one tested check the hose is clean and in the fluid, if thats ok bleed out the air.

Reply to
ransley

Maybe get it emmissions tested now, you have legal rights on a return, especialy if it cant pass from illegaly tampering with it.

Reply to
ransley

Looks like you are correct. Check the radiator cap. It should open and release excessive volume of heated coolant and when it cools down it should suck it back from the overflow bottle.

He could simply remove the bulb from the instrument cluster.

Reply to
Pszemol

In this case it is obvious that the seller is 100% honest :-)))

Reply to
Pszemol

Will it be very difficult to take the instrument panel out to see if this is the case?

Reply to
Jonathan Yip
  1. How's the condition of the cooling system? Coolant change with Toyota Red and distilled water every 2 years? Some dealers like to use tap water.

You should change all the coolant hoses, I'd use Gates. Also good time to change out the thermostat/gasket, I'd use only OEM.thermostat from the dealer. Get a new rad cap as well, Stant from your local parts store works fine here.

Also, it may be possible to have a leaking headgasket pressurizing the hoses. That's serious problem. $$$$$. Might want to get a coolant analysis for hydrocarbons or a sniffer test for HC. Again, $$$$$.

  1. Check Autozone's free guide. If you turn the key and the MIL light is not on, then the bulb is burnt out. Change the bulb:

johngdole

I have 1995 model year so not sure how is it in 1998.

In mine you need to pop-up the radio bezel in center column to get access to 2 lower screws for the plastic panel securing the instrument cluster, clock, emergency blinker button and center vents (one piece of plastic). Then you have 3 more screws above the instrument cluster, in the upper wall. When you remove this single piece plastic you will get access to 4 screws securing the instrument cluster to the dashboard. Quite easy. Yours should be similar.

Reply to
Pszemol