Radio & Defogger

I have a 2002 Camry XLE and when I turn on the rear window de-fogger the FM radio gets totally wiped out. I suppect that it has something to do with the radio antenna being in the rear window as well as the defogger heater wires. I suppect that this is normal and there is nothing that can be done about it except listen to AM or play a CD when de-fogging.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

I have a similar arrangement, and the two things, the antenna and the heater wires never seem to interact, so no, I don't think it's normal. and if it were interference with the antenna, I should think it would affect the AM worse than the FM.

Reply to
mack

I would suggest that you have someone with more than a passing knowledge in auto electrics take a look at your alternator. It sounds like it might be generating some spurious signals into the wiring system which are being rectified by the cars radio receiver. This being the case, turning the key on and allowing the defogger to heat up with the motor off would prove tghe point if there is no noise on your radio.

Reply to
Gary

Not alternator or engine noise as the defogger de-senses the radio with the engine not running. Note I said de-senses not completely kill the FM radio. Very strong stations override the "white" noise. Still a mystery.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Factory radio, or aftermarket? If aftermarket, who installed it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Factory original.

Reply to