Re: 0W-30?

> Would it be a bad idea to put in 0W-30 oil in my '99 Camry?

> Without an oil pressure gauge on your dash > you wont know if its too thin.

Even if you had a gauge, I doubt you would notice any difference. When cold, the 0W30 is more viscous than "hot" 5W30. When hot, both have essentially the same viscosity. So unless you are starting up at temperatures around freezing and you are paying very close attention to your initial oil pressure readings, you are not likely to see much difference in oil pressure readings.

I can think of several reason not to use 0W30 -

1) If you are not in a very cold climate, the difference in viscosity between 5W30 and 0W30 at normal start-up temperatures is trivial and will have no effect on engine wear.

2) 0W30 will cost more and there are no significant saving that will offset this cost increase.

3) 0W30 conventional oil MAY be more likely to breakdown than 5W30 oil. Given Toyota's history of sludge problems, I wouldn't take a chance on using an oil that MIGHT be more prone to sludge formation.

If the OP is really concerned about the quality of oil he is using, then I'd suggest using 5W30 synthetic oil (real synthetic oil, none of the Syntec or XL7500 faux synthetic crap).

Reply to
C. E. White

I'm not in a cold climate (Sacramento, CA).

I'm using 10W-30 dino oil in my wife's '99 camry (85k miles), and just realized I really should use 5W-30 instead. (kinda worried about using the wrong oil for the last year or so.)

Does a 0W-30 dino oil exist? Or is it only available in synthetic?

I looked at the price of synthetic - about $24/gal at Wal-Mart for Mobil 1, and I'm not sure I can justify the cost vs. Castrol dino oil, ~$5/gal with coupon at Kragen.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Castrol 10W30 will cost you normally $13 a gallon. Where did you get the coupon to get it for $5?

Reply to
Pszemol

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

IIRC, I could get it for about $1.25/qt with a coupon from Kragen. You gotta buy a case.

It was either Kragen or Pep Boys.

It's been awhile, maybe I was wrong with the numbers. Maybe it was $1.99/qt?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

Forgot to mention - it was from an ad in the Sunday paper. Every now and then Kragen has coupons for a case of oil, with a rebate. Frequently for Chevron, but every now and then there's a coupon for the good stuff.

You gotta wait for the rebate, but it's worth it.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Check Pep Boys, they periodically run specials for 5 qts of Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntech and a Mobil-1 or PureOne filter for $25 after rebate. So does Autozone.

Check their ads:

johngdole

Yeah, good deals on synthetics are harder to come by than the 49-cent dino oil.

Reply to
johngdole

snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

In this last Sunday's paper (which I only NOW had time to open), Kragen has a coupon. Castrol GTX, coupon price is $2.99 per quart, but after a mail-in rebate it is 99c/qt. Limit 1 case per coupon. [Excludes Syntec, Synthetic Blend, Hi Mileage, Start Up Oils.]

I usually buy a case at a time - lasts a year or two. Does oil go bad after a year? 110 degree summers, 30-40 degree winters...

99c/qt... 4 qts needed for my 4-cyl... a good oil filter is $5. $9 total. Knowing the job is done right - PRICELESS.

Oh yeah, AutoZone (I think) will take your used oil, if your recycling service doesn't pick it up at the curb.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett