Re: 96 Camry stalling??

It might be what I'm asking about. [not yet diagnosed] Mine only stalls when warmed up, and when the engine (not necessarily the car) decelerate. In otherwords, minding the Tachometer, not the speedometer helps.

If I let the engine decelrate slowly it won't stall at stop lights. That means practicing conseervative driving, and maybe downshifting at the car slows.

To me, the fact that there is memory involved implies that either the manifold vacuum is involved (the only mechanical memory present, as I see it),or some kind of sensor feeding the engine control computer.

My mechinic took a quick look so far and thought that a kind of diaphragm or piston that should mopve didn't. That was fed by a vacuum line. (one of my hunches).

But it might require reading the diagnostic code to find a bad sensor. Perhaps the fact that a check engine light isn't on rules ot most of that...

I'll post again when mine is properlyu dianosed. Someone else wrote me today (unless it was you) asking what I learned, since he has a similar problem too.

Once again, it could be either something truly engine related, or something in the engine control system.

The fact that having the AC on helps sounds like the way the engine idel speed sometimes goes up (I think) when in Drive, scompared to neutral. SOme kind of response to the load.

Reply to
Dan Falkoff

If you have ruled out the simple things (plugs, air filter, timing), then check the EGR valve and its related components. That it stalls only after warm-up at idle and not at speed with your mileage would point me in the direction of a sticking EGR valve. When it is running good after warm-up, you could try plugging the vacuum line to the EGR with a golf tee and see if the problem disappears while it is plugged. Note that when you take the EGR out of service, cylinder head temperatures go up and NOx increases so you don't want to go with it disconnected for an extended amount of time.

Reply to
Gary

I had this problem with my 95 Camry. I had the EGR valve replace and it fixed the problem. Now a year later the car is stalling when it's cold.

Reply to
Doug

Thanks Doug, I'll give this a look. Good Luck with yours. john

Reply to
Grave Digger