How to change spark plugs in a Toyota Camry 4 cyl

I have a Toyota Camry 4 cyl 2001 and I wanted to change the spark plugs. But I was surprised to see that they are located deep inside the engine and I can't reach them with the tools that I used before for Ford Taurus or Oldsmobil. Do I need a special wrench that can reach deep inside and to pull out the spark plug? Thank you.

Reply to
Mark22
5/8" spark plug socket and a 10" extension with locking end. Observe torque figures when tightening! You're working with an aluminum head. Slight amount of anti-seize on threads can be helpful. Be grateful you're not doing this job on the six cylinder engine. Check for other maintenance items. There are a many other items that should be done at the same time as spark plug replacement.
Reply to
Daniel

Have any idea what the torque is? Thank you again.

Reply to
Mark22

Hi Mark,

Haynes manual says 18 Nm, or about 13 ft-lb. This seems to be seconded in previous posts. Use a little anti-seize compund on the threads as Daniel says.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Can I use Bosch Platinum 4+ spark-plugs?

Mark22

Can I use Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs?

Mark22

Can I use Bosch Platinum 4+ spark-plugs?

---------- They will fit, but not recommended. Bosch + 4 is a marketing gimmick. The spark will only discharge to a single point. The Bosch plugs have a very tiny sliver of platinum in the center electrode which has been known to cause problems with fouling in Toyota, whereas the stock ND plugs do not have this potential problem and show zero plug gap erosion after 60,000 miles. Especially with the electrical items, you should stay with genuine Toyota parts. Personally, I use genuine parts throughout - they just have generally better quality and fit overall, plus you know they were designed specifically for your exact application.

Reply to
Daniel

I couldn't find the exact torque, but I want to warn you about another issue, and maybe get an advice from other members. I don't have much experience with working on cars, but I did use the extension with the special plug socket. Sometimes the grip between the socket and the plug is a little stronger than the grip between the socket and the extension. In that case the plus socket will be left deep down after you finish tightening the plug. One way to get it out would be to just unscrew the plug again.I have a socket with a rotating arm, which bent down after the extension was pulled and I couldn't reattach it. Luckily I was able to fish it out with a hook that grabbed the joint. Later I tied an electric cord to the joint and now I can pull it out. Probably other members would have better solutions to avoid loosing the socket, but I just wanted to warn you about it. After you place the plug in the socket, connected to the extension, try to pull the plug out and see if you also have the socket in your hand.

Reply to
bauz

The solution: Duct tape. Just tape the socket to the extension. EZ peazy.

Reply to
aikidoronin666