Re: Lexus ES330 vs Camry XLE

The major differences between a Lexus and a Camry are as follows:

- Variations of engine design (VVTi vs. non VVTi)

- Transmission type (4 speed auto vs. 5 speed auto)

- increased creature comforts

- Fit and finish is improved

Having said that, I know of a few people who opted for a fully loaded Camry instead of the Lexus and put the savings into a higher level of maintenance (i.e. Mobil 1 oil changes, more rigorious maintenance practices, etc.) Mind you these people have other Lexus models as well (i.e. SC400, LS 400, SC430, LS 430).

Also keep in mind that maintenance on Lexus vehicles are considerably more expensive at the dealer then a Toyota vehicle. At my local dealership in Toronto, Canada, a oil change is $29.95 for my

2002 Camry LE V6. The Lexus dealer charges $59.95 for the same service. I get better donuts and other frills, but for $30 savings, I can get a hell of a lot of donuts.

Other services and maintenance items are more expensive. So if you are willing to get a better built car and pay for the upkeep, then the Lexus is the better. If you want to save the $$ and get a fully loaded Camry and do the same level of maintenance, then that is also good. How will the cars be in 10 years.... I would say about the same.

Hello, > > Does anybody know whether Lexus vehicles are inherently better (quality of > parts, technology, quality control, etc.) than Toyota ones? I know they are > more luxurious, but I'm wondering if there is much other advantage to them. > I'm particularly interested in knowing if much is different under the hood > between the Lexus ES330 and the Camry XLE V6. Thanks. > > -Doug in VA > >
Reply to
Car Guy

I don't think this is correct. The Camry V6's are VVTi and 5-speed autos. I don't think there is any significant difference in the running gear - it's all styling, interior and trim.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Having driven both, I would opine that the ES330 is quieter and smoother than the Camry.

Both are excellent and reliable cars. I would say that if price and regular maintance cost is the primary factor, go for the Camry. If comfort and quiet is important, give the nod to the ES330.

You really can't go wrong with either car.

I currently drive an '03 LS430.

Helmar Herman

Reply to
Helmar Herman

I just happened to do a double take in the parking lot at a local supermarket tonight-- an all white Lexus ES 330 sure looked like one fine car. Moon roof and tints made it look even sharper-- made my 99 Camry XLE look like a poor cousin. It would be hard I guess to justify about ten grand more just to look cool. But if ya got flaunt it!!

The Artful Codger

maintenance

Reply to
Artfulcodger

you do not need to use hi test fuel in the camry like you do with the lexus.

Reply to
Thudd

If you get a V6 you should use premium fuel, just like in the lexus.

Reply to
Dave

Been running my XLE on regular grade fuel for over two years now and I can not recall reading in the manual that it called for premium. Must double check. However regular grade here in Canada is of a higher octane than the lowest grade in the US I have found.

Does anyone know of the benefits of using premium gasoline other than I do recall on an earlier non GM prodeuct I had it did reduce engine knock so I would fuel with the good stuff every third or fourth tank.

Reply to
Artfulcodger

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:41:31 GMT, "Artfulcodger" scribbled:

Our 'regular' grade octane here in New Zealand is 91 RON, while our 'premium' is 96 RON. You can also get 98 RON at selected petrol stations throughout the country.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

I have an ES300 that runs OK on cheap gas but it looses some power. Never detonates... guess computer backs off a little when it senses regular gas.

Also have a Camry 4 cyl that runs fine on regular, but no better on premium.. guess this one isn't as smart as the lexus; it don't adjust to gas quality.

It's little stuff like that setting the lex apart from the camry. Better execution of a superior camry plan. A little quieter, a little faster, plusher, more elegant. And the ES300 always looked better than the same year Camry.

Lexus does cost more to maintain and fix. Camry just as reliable, maybe a little more so since the whistles and bells are fewer and simplier on the camry. Love 'em both!

Reply to
TANKIE

That's probably Research Octane ratings. The US Pump Markings are in "Road Octane" which is (Research x Motor)/2 - they wanted a realistic number that is an average of the two measuring systems.

That gives us (for sea level to 2000' urban altitudes) regular at

87, mid-grade at 89, and Premium at 91 or 92. If you know where to go, there is pump racing gasoline available (at a steep premium) for your vintage muscle cars, usually 108 road octane.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Had a 1997 Avalon with the 3.0l V6 and found it would ping like crazy on regular gas. Burned plus grade in it (not full premium) and pinging went away, also fuel economy actually improved enough to save money rather than scrime along on regular. Ran it this way for about 80k miles with no problems. -psmith

Reply to
Phil Smith

My recollection is that the Camry V6 is the 3.0 and is de-tuned to produce about 180-190 HP on regular fuel. The ES300 has a higher compression ratio and produces about 210. The IS300 is goosed up a little more to 215. The RX300 is goosed to 220. Accordingly the Lexi (Lexuses?) require high octane.

Don't know about the 3.3.

Reply to
Cary Scheck

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

In news:tPMxb.6665$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com, Cary Scheck being of bellicose mind posted:

Take a look .....

Lexus IS300 uses a 3.0 liter INLINE six cylinder mounted longitudinally and rear wheel drive. Camry and ES300 are 3.0 liter -V6- mounted transversely and front wheel drive.

Reply to
Philip®