Re: oil change intervals

Regarding your information regarding oil change intervals: I have been using synthetic oil in all my vehicles for about 10 years now. Synthetic oils are VASTLY superior to regular motor oils, and outperfom them in ALL ways! Synthetic oil does not thicken and turn to sludge in high heat conditions. Nor does it turn to jelly in sub zero temperatures. Synthetic oil does not deteriorate like regular motor oil. Synthetic oil DOES however retain dirt , just like regular motor oil. Therefore, I change my synthetic oil only once a year, however, I change the filter twice a year, and re use the oil that is trapped in the filter. It simply gets dumped back in through the valve cover cap. My vehicles include a 1956 MGA roadster (My pride and joy) A 1990 Ford Tempo (wife's car) and a 1994 Toyota Camry (poor man's Rolls Royce) All these vehicles have been running syntheic oil for the last 10 years, with oil changes only once a year, and filters changed twice a year. These engines run as well and as strongly as 10 years ago! I have had NO engine problems whatsoever. The MGA that I have owned for 25 years needed regular valve adjustments when using regular motor oil. Since switching to synthetic oil, I have not needed to adjust the valves, because the rocker shaft and rocker arms are not wearing! I attribute this solely to the synthetic oil, and highly recommend it. The only time I would not recommend use of synthetic oil is during new engine break in, or if an old engine has been using non detergent motor oil for many years. Cheers! snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com

Reply to
glennsmga

snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote: snip Synthetic oil does not thicken and turn

Glenn, I too have been using sythetic oil for appx nine years now and really like it. I agree with all of your assessment of synthetic oil except the above quote from your post. Heat does not cause sludge, oil not being brought up to full temperature so it can evaporate the moisture out of it causes sludge and it's related acids. Heat causes oil to coke or cook into a crusty coating on the engines internals. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Good to hear from some guys who know synthetics as I do . I wouldnt put anything else in any engine I own. There are still people who change their oil every 3mo. ,3000mi. I change my oil every 6mo 6000mi. And I fully agree with better mileage, no sludge and longer engine life. I recently helped a friend here in Phoenix change the cam cover gasket on his 91 Corolla with 220,000 miles on Mobil 1. No surprise to me the underside of the cover and entire head looked new and this car has never needed a valve adjustment. 5 or 6 dollars a quart for oil suddenly looks really cheap. Scott

Reply to
zonie