Re: park nuetral switch 1996 toyota camry

I have a 96 camry with the check engine light on. I need to get it to

> pass smog, the error code reads p1780, which is the park nuetral > switch. On my dash, all the lights light up except for when in drive > and the car starts in any gear. I went to pick a part and got another > switch off another camry and non of the lights lit up so I put my > original one back in. Not only does the drive light not light up but > with no keys in the ignition I can go through all the gears. I really > need to figure this out soon so I can get it smogged and registered, > Thanks

====== I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. There is a park neutral safety switch which prevents shifting out of Park unless the service brake is pressed. That switch is under the center console near the shift lever. Temporary over ride access is under the plastic cover upper left corner, so that gets you to the right location. Could be you just need to adjust the brake light switch travel at the brake pedal -- that is also part of the circuit. The actual gear selector is on the front of the automatic transmission at the end of the shift cable. Consult the factory service manual, try:

You should not be able to shift gears with the key off, so thatpoints to the shift interlock mechanism. The Drive light on the dash being out is normal. That's the lightthat's on most and it burns out first.No actual functional value tothe operation or shifting of the car, just for informational purposes.

Reply to
Daniel