Re: Price for 30K service?

I just had my '98 Camry serviced at 30K miles by the Toyota dealer that

> I've used in the past for other Toyotas I've owned. > > The price was $475 and that was for routine work, nothing was wrong with > the car. The prices at this dealer seem have to have skyrocketed lately. > Is this true at other dealers? I live in Rhode Island.

I just called my local dealer to ask about 30k service, and they wanted almost that same exact amount.

I'm in the process of changing my coolant, transmission fluid, air filter, oil change+filter, etc., myself. Then I'll take a look at the brakes and tires.

$475 for that service is ridiculous, and I encourage you to not pay it. If you're not mechanically inclined, have it serviced at a local shop.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

I paid $169 for my 30K mile service (2002 LE 4-cyl). It included the following:

Replace air filter - Replace engine coolant - Replace engine oil & oil filter - Rotate Tires Inspect the following: Ball joints and dust covers, Brake lines & hoses, Brake linings/Drums and brake pads/discs, Differential oil, Drive belts (non-ribbed), Fuel lines & connections, fuel tank band & fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, Drive shaft bolts, Exhaust pipes & mountings, Fuel tank cap gasket, Steering gear box, Steering linkage, Transmission fluid or oil. Replace A/C filter every 15,000 miles.

Steve B

Reply to
Steve B

I asked my dealer how much for a 60,000 mile service and they said $400 +. Told them to shove it. Seems like it is unnecessary

Reply to
Rhino

I think the prices are outrageous for 15K and 30K mile check up..

My question is Is it really necessary to pay for these maintenance services if the car is leased???

Susan

Reply to
Susan Henne

*YOUR* question is a stellar example of why people should avoid buying a lease turn-in. Neglect. Thank you Susan.
Reply to
Philip®

what does your lease say about maintaining the car?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Actually, I think the original poster's experience with obscene dealer charges for 15K & 30K services is a stellar example of why automobile maintenance gets neglected. Most people are reasonable and want their cars to be properly maintained/reliable. However, they know there is a good chance that they will get ripped off by the dealer service dept. .... or at the very least, sold a bunch of work which is unnecessary. So they just skip the preventative maintenance items which really do need to be done, lest they also end up buying a "bundle" of dubious parts/labor/"treatments" along with the critical stuff. If they would just follow the manufacturer's recommendations, and find a legitimate mechanic/shop (or do it themselves, if they're able) that will charge fairly and actually perform the a la carte items, there'd be no problem.

Reply to
keep-it-clean

It's not, we were talking about leasing

Reply to