Re: Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

seems you don't understand the system very well.

there are two main elements in steering:

  1. the control that determines where the wheels point.
  2. the power assist that reduces the driver effort required.

for #2, it really makes no difference whether that power comes from a hydraulic pump or an electric pump.

what you're actually complaining about is a subjective quantity called "feel", and that's not a function of the type of pump, but the level at which it kicks in.

conclusion: your ranting about eps is underinformed.

Reply to
jim beam

The oproblem is that the Malibu always felt like this, even before they added the electrical assist. Your problem is with the way Chevy thinks the steering system should feel, not with the implementation.

I urge you to drive a Toyota with the system. It's pretty tight, maybe even more so than the Toyotas without it.

That said, I don't really like the electrical steering assist, because it is more unnecessary complexity. It _can_ make for tight steering at lower cost, but to be honest I have driven plenty of cars with no power assist at all that were great.

Too many GM products steer like ocean liners... you can turn the wheel

20 degrees and nothing happens, the dead band is so severe. Cadillac finally got this right with the CTS, which is the first Cadillac ever that steers and handles like a real car. I'd like to see the folks who designed THAT try designing an electronic assist; I think they could do the concept justice.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

ROFL...Yup, you didn't did you?

With all the guff Toyota is taking, all of a sudden "I don't like this about my Toyota" or "I don't like that about my Toyota." Fine! Put it up for sale! They're bargains right now. I'll take it, get it fixed, and have a decent car!

What car were you talking about, BTW?

Reply to
Hachiroku

__________________________ I experienced electric PS on a 2005 Chevy Malibu, and you can read my description of it's road feel a few posts back. I'll say it again: while the media has Toyota in firing range, I'm targeting what really needs to be looked at: this electric power steering. The problems with the Corolla could have happened to ANY MAKE utilizing the frickin' thing, GOT IT? Honda, Chevy, Ford, VW, whomever! So it's NOT a Toyota problem, it's an unproven technology problem. Get it through your thick skulls - ALL of you.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

______________________

And you can take this to the bank, Scott:

It takes only one bad example of an implementation to turn this old road stevadore off to a new technology. Some folks are like that, Scott. Their ballgame is "one strike you're out". I don't grant second chances where my directional stability, my life and the lives of others are at stake.

The car CD player keeps chewing CDs? Fine - yank out the deck and replace it until a deck is found that actually plays the CDs instead of eating them(just using an example here..) Power steering - whole 'nother ballgame.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

______________________

And you can take this to the bank, Scott:

It takes only one bad example of an implementation to turn this old road stevedore off to a new technology. Some folks are like that, Scott. Their ballgame is "one strike you're out". I don't grant second chances where my directional stability, my life and the lives of others are at stake.

The car CD player keeps chewing CDs? Fine - yank out the deck and replace it until a deck is found that actually plays the CDs instead of eating them(just using an example here..) Power steering - whole 'nother ballgame.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

pumps are unproven??? dude, get real.

Reply to
jim beam

dude, there are millions of cars on the road with eps. just because your pos chevy was a pos, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with an electric pump.

Reply to
jim beam

so take the bus! oh, wait, that thing has a pump assist on the steering too...

Reply to
jim beam

___________________________ ELECTRIC PS. Are you people on here just playing dumb, or are you really like that?

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

On Feb 20, 8:17=A0pm, jim beam wrote: =A0Power steering - whole

_________________________ I never said rule out power steering completely. Just build a hydraulic system that #1. facilitates parking, #2. tapers off gradually up until 20 - 30mph(depending upon size/weight of vehicle), until #3. it shuts down completely.

We con concoct all manner of reasons to invade country x, y, or z, but we can't achieve the above, economically? Something's WRONG with that picture.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Looks like you know absolutely nothing about EPS.

Reply to
Bob Cooper

EPS is purely about saving money and increasing MPG. This may interest you.

Bob Cooper

Electric Power Assisted Steering does not use a pump. But thanks for playing.

To be sure, there are, or have been, hydraulic steering systems that had the hydraulic pressure supplied by an electric motor, but the electric steering they use on the Corolla doesn't have this kind of system.

I'd not go so far as to say what they are using is an unproven technology, it's been around in one or more of it's various forms since about 1965. The current implementation used by Toyota looks like the Acura NSX of the early '90s, and the BMW system of the early 2000s. .

Jeff Strickland

Um yeah, yeah I get it!

Yes, it could be a similar feeling on all vehicles that employ it. And not all issues 'reported' by the medi...er, that is, actual Toyota owners my just be their unfamiliarity with their cars. Owner's Manuals are wonderful.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have that on my Corolla

Notice the model year in the URL...

Reply to
Hachiroku

_______________________ Wow - a fastback 'rolly! Notice I didn't say "hatchback". That actually holds its own against anything after 2003 as far as looks goes! Whatever happened to those days, man?

Well, nice to know you have ps similar to what I described above. There are two main categories of power steering - regardless of form(electric or hydro): fixed and variable. Manufacturers, particularly GM, were notorious for using a waaayyy overboosted fixed setting on most platforms, making even a 20ft Bonnie or DeVille a snap to park - but impossible to maneuver through turns or curves.

Now why did they do that, Hachi? So LAZY AMERICANS who want everything EASY didn't have trouble parking the damn things!! "Handling"? Duhhh..whut's that? LOL

Next is variable ps, which uses bleed-back or speed-related sensors to gradually reduce the ps assist as veh. speed increased. But that costs $$$, right? Which is where I come in:

If variable PS is so expensive and/or difficult to manufacture for the masses(those folks who don't drive expensive German sedans), then I for one would gladly settle for a car that is *a bit* of a beast to park, but tight and stable at any speed over 10mph. That is, a fixed pressure PS system at a lower than usual pressure.

I know this is probably in the works, but I think a dashboard push- button solution might help - have three settings for steering assist: Max, Normal/Var., and "Sport"(which addresses the desires in my last paragraph). This is something where an Electric PS might really shine

- since it's all electric, have an electronic user interface so different drivers can select the amount of road feedback and steering feel they desire simply by selecting one of several settings. Build in a brake-pedal sensor so a selection canNOT be made unless a foot is on the brake.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= writes

This side of the pond, Nissan has gone down in quality since it merged with Renault.

Reply to
Mr Coleman

In message , ChrisCoaster writes

I've an 02 Nissan Almera with Hydraulic power steering and an 09 Toyota Auris SR180 with electric power steering. They both handle exactly the same to me.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

In message , Scott Dorsey writes

If you can turn the wheel at all from straight without the front wheels moving the your vehicle is using "Recirculating Ball", this system normally leaves a dead zone in the middle, but some car makers like it as it makes the steering geometry simpler, especially when setting up Ackermanns principle. Here in the UK, only Rack and Pinion is used, as it's the only steering system precise enough (no play) to get through the MOT.

Reply to
Clive Coleman