Re: Toyota loses its way

In article

>, > john wrote: > >> Yoshi Inaba sounds like a clairvoyant. ;) I wonder if there will be >> charges and arrests in the Toyota case as the Japanese government did >> in the Mitsubishi case. >> >> "For years, warning signs have clashed with its touted high standards >> >> Five years ago, Yoshi Inaba, then president of Toyota Motor Corp.'s >> U.S. sales operations, disclosed his biggest fear. It was that >> someday, some flaw in Toyota vehicles might go undetected and cause >> injuries, or worse, to the company's customers. >> >> Inaba was perhaps thinking of a huge scandal that had just engulfed >> Mitsubishi Motors Corp., a smaller Japanese carmaker accused of >> covering up defects for years. Top Mitsubishi executives, including >> its former president, had been arrested and charged." >> >> From The Detroit News: >>
> ta-loses-its-way#ixzz0fHiJSPza> >My two Toyota's were the best cars I've ever owned and I've owned quite >a few big three plus VW in my 67 years. I will buy another another >Toyota without question.

I had one Toyota and one datun and they were both junk. My sister in law had a Datsun and it was junk. They just don't hold up under hard driving. They are made for little old ladies who will never push them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

In message , Ashton Crusher writes

I wouldn't call Mitsubishi small, it might not make a lot of cars (though I do remember it's board of directors being hauled before a court for knowingly allowing new cars to be sold with faulty brakes) but they have fingers in lots of pies.

Reply to
Clive

>> ta-loses-its-way#ixzz0fHiJSPza>>

Bullshit. Toyotas love to be driven hard.

You can't equate "hard driving" with "total abuse".

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= writes

The name Datsun changed to Nissan hear over 25 years ago.

Reply to
Clive

>>> ta-loses-its-way#ixzz0fHiJSPza>>>

Maybe in your experience, certainly not in mine. A few full throttle shifts was all the AT in the Tercel could take. it was never the same after.

I never abuse a car.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Never happened to me. 1995 Tercel CX, used to drive it at 50 everywhere,

80 on the highway.

Obviously, if you managed to damage a Toyota transmission, which are usually rated 50 HP minimum, and sometimes up to 100 above it's application, you do.

Reply to
Hachiroku

i think you need to account for the "bullshit" factor - anyone can write all kinds of garbage on usenet - doesn't mean they've got the slightest intention of representing the truth.

Reply to
jim beam

And that has exactly zero to do with their durability under full throttle shifts.

Believe whatever you want. You clearly are a Toyota apologist, just like Jim beam.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And I think you're just plain full of crap.

You had to really abise that car to damage the transmission, so either it didn't happen, and you're just telling tales, or you didn't do the proper maintenance on the car, and that damaged the trans, or you held it manually in one gear too long.

I did full throttle shifts with mine, too and never had a problem. Besides that, it's a TERCEL, not a Corolla GTS or a Supra. If you want that kind of performance, unass some ducats and get a car more suitable to your driving style

Hachiroku

You have got to be kidding...

I'd bet it's at least 3 to 1.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd say thats about right. 3 Toy repairs for every 1 Ford repair.

Reply to
Steve

Go read the JD power data and covert it to defects per CAR, not per

100 cars, and you'll see just how little actual difference there is between any of the cars in the top half of the food chain.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If making perhaps 3 full throttle shifts AUTOMATICALLY, not manually, in a week is "abuse" then I'm guilty.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

In message , Ashton Crusher writes

We get JD Power surveys over here, they're rubbish. Instead stead of putting cars though their own in house checks, the just sent out questionnaires and interview a few garages and well as not being able to piss off the people that advertise in them. At least "Which?" Buy their cars off of forecourts so the garage doesn't know where it's going and all their testing is in house, as well as questionnaires, and no advertisers to suck up to. That's America for you, profit is king, peoples lives come further down the list.

Reply to
Clive

The Powers studies survey 1000's of cars. They pay the car owner a small sum to fill out their survey forms. Might not be perfect, but it measures a wide range of owner experience. In house testing of one or two samples isn't real world, and always turns out to reveal more about the testers' preferences/prejudices than anything else. Just as your use of the word "rubbish" reveals yours. As good a reason as any to prefer Powers over usenet postings.

Reply to
Bob Cooper

durng the first few months of the vehicle's life - the bit they survey. if you keep a vehicle longer than that, you'll see a whole different reality. especially if you go to a junkyard and see all the 10 year old domestics lined up.

Reply to
jim beam

again, only when the car is new. hence they carefully use the wording "initial quality", the ones you're failing to acknowledge.

admittedly, domestics have improved on what used to be a dismal initial quality ratings, but down the road, they're still the garbage that ends up in the junk yard 10 years earlier than their import counterparts.

Reply to
jim beam

You don't know what you're talking about.

Powers has done a 3 year dependability study for years. Of course with Buick at the top of their list, it's a sure thing you'll discount it, what with all your boneyard counting. After all it's still only a 3 year study.

Reply to
Bob Cooper

yes, only 3 years. that's typically 36,000 miles. hardly a real "test".

Reply to
jim beam

Yep. Better that the consumer rely on "jim beam's shot and a boneyard count" usenet posting method for selecting a dependable car. That'll work every time. Gar-an-teed. Makes sense that 36,000 miles of widespread data can't hold a candle to "jim beam's" 10 fingers. Makes real good sense.

Reply to
Bob Cooper