Re: Toyota's reputation needs some TLC

>> The difference TODAY is that GM and Ford vehicles are rated as good or

>> better, in numerous consumer surveys, than Toyota and with fuel mileage >> better than Toyota as well.   GM and Ford vehicles can be driven home for >> less, as well. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> "Over a generation or so, Toyota built its reputation - and U.S. >> >> market share - on dependability, at a time when General Motors, Ford >> >> Motor and Chrysler couldn't shake being identified with lemons. >> >> >> The company that once could do no wrong has stumbled badly though a >> >> series of embarrassments of disclosures, allegations and recalls. >> >> Experts now are debating how deeply these will eat into the consumer >> >> trust that is Toyota's most potent asset - and what it must do to >> >> recover." >> >> >> Full article at: >> >>
> > - >> > Toyota can build and sell crap if they want....as long as there is a GM or >> > Ford to lower the bar of expectations.- Hide quoted text - >> >> - Show quoted text - > >And you GET less... Whenver I think of getting a new car, I go and >drive one and then get in my 01 and it feels solid compared to what I >was just in... I've driven EVERYTHING out there I think. I can't even >break my toyota if I tried. And sometimes I think I'm subconciously >'trying'... >

Same way I feel about my 92 Ford Explorer.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I helped a friend of mine who was on foot get a car. We wound up getting her a 94 Pontiac Grand Pix. Very rough and 120K miles. But all the accessories worked and though I thought it rode harsh, that's the way it was supposed to be for that model, so far it's been a pretty good car. AC worked through the summer, I don't think she's had AC for years, and so far it's started every time and runs well. It's enough to get me thinking about maybe considering a domestic next time I look for another car. On the other hand my mom's 5 year old buick had the famous intake leaking problem at 60K miles and she was out 600 bucks to have it fixed, her new buick the dealer had to work on the back brakes two or three times because a rear wheel would lock up. I've about decided Toyota won't be my next vehicle, I like the one I have but sludge, head bolt problems and road noise I've read about pretty much eliminates a Toyota for me. I usually buy something with around 50K miles on it and put another 70-100K on it and then give it away, or sell it way under what it's worth to a deserving person.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Could you infor me s to what you mean by a problem with sludge, head bolt problems and road noise?

I have a 1989 Toyota pickup that I have been driving since 1988 and it has

289,653 miles on it.

I've never had a problem with any of the things you mention. Or is this only concerning newer models. I would like to know especially about the "sludge problem" as I am thinking of shopping around for a new vehicle.

Appreciate any info you are willing to provide. You can mail my personal email address if you wish. thanx

richard

Reply to
dick blisters

FatterDumber& Happier Moe found these unused words:

Let's see ... you've READ about problems and thus decide you're not going to buy a Toyota.

BUTT !

You have had actual major problems with GM and so -=will=- buy from them?

Do you work for the company that makes 15 story elevators for 18 story buildings?

============

My car history:

How about Buick Skylark - out of round crankshaft - 3 months old. GMC said it was within 'tolerance' and thus not covered. [out of pocket]

AMC {Chrysler} Wavy Lines in front windscreen, causing optical distortion. NOT covered though vehicle was 1 week old! Cal Law forced replacement.

Chevrolet Malibu - intermittant problem where application experienced loss of rear brakes, then sudden application causing skidding. "Bad driving" NOT covered. [Faulty master cylinder - paid for out of pocket.]

Ford Pinto - defective gas tank & mountings. Finally covered in the general lawsuit.

Ford Fairlaine Wagon - defective wiring harness for rear. NOT covered as car had been driven more than 5,000 miles. [out of pocket]

Three Toyotas - all minor problems and all but a sticky door lock [at 6 years of age] fully covered with loaners [none of the US crappies offered!] when overnight.

Oh yeah, the -=current=- Toyota is the LEAST noisy of all the above!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

I've read of complaints of wind noise and road noise in the newer Toyotas. Actually a Honda a low mileage good used one will probably be my next car, but I liked that old Pontiac from little bit I drove it, it was a nice handling car and so far it's still running. A Malibu might be the next car. I don't know, I've got lots of miles left on my Camry but I'm always looking ahead at the past for a future used car.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Up here, Hondas are the preferred vehicle of ricer gangs.

Reply to
Sharx35

What part of "here" is "up here"?

Reply to
dick blisters

Canada

Reply to
Sharx35

Hmmm. Another Canuk... I'm in the "Peg"

Reply to
dick blisters

As in WINTERpeg!

Reply to
Sharx35

Keerect! But the wife and I go south for the winter from Nov to April. We've become real cowards in our old age (me 67, her 47). Can't stand freezing our buns off anymore. Just talked to my brother in Wpg and he said it was currently -24.

Reply to
dick blisters