Re: TOYOTA SEZ IT HAS [another] FIX FOR PEDAL ... DO YOU BELIEVE IT?

>"No matter what Toyota does, they always do it right," Darvish said.

>>"They might be a little slow in coming out, but that's because they're >>diligent." >> >> > > If they "always do it right" they would not have this problem. Nor would > they have locks that burn up and trap the people inside and burn them up > too. Or sludged up engines. Or bad head gaskets.

How many had bad head gaskets? Besides the 7M series?

And that was because the US required the use of non-asbestos head gaskets.

I've crawled throuh many cars, and some of the best built are Toyotas.

so there.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is not doubt Toyota makes good vehicles, but then again so does every other manufacturer today. The problem that Toyota has in this instance is they try to sluff it off but got caught.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And some aren't.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Right. Generally GM. Nissan, too. Not very well put together.

Fords are OK, and I actually like the way Chryslers are built.

GMs are the worst.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's funny to see the Toyota folks get their panties in a bunch when it's revealed that the emperor has no clothes.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My experience too. But you can add Mitsubishi in with Nissan and GM. Mazda is closer to Ford the last few years, pulling ahead of Nissan and GM. Honda is somewhere in around Chrysler/Toyota

Reply to
clare

The emperor is dressed fairly well.

There's a reason I buy "J" VIN Toyota products, and that's because I've seen some of the 'quality' from NUMMI and the US plants.

I have had few problems with my Japanese made Toyotas. I haven't had any problems with my US made ones, because I only buy Japanese made ones.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have '89 Mazda 626 '05 Scion tC '89 Soob GL coupe '88 Supra '97 Soob Legacy wagon '92 Dodge Grand Caravan '85 Corolla GTS

The Supra and the GTS are really well screwed together. The Mazda and the '89 Soob are fairly well made and easy to work on. Never did a timing belt before, and replacing the TWO on the Soob was child's play. The Scion is about like any modern car, light materials and quick assembly. The Caravan is made like all Caravans, pretty well.

Also in my stable were a '90 240SX. UGH! Held together with SHEET METAL SCREWS!!!! I thought since the car had been through the mill it was a slap together job by the seller, but when I went to get parts out of another one, SHEET METAL SCREWS!!!

Chevys? UGH! We're not talking you Father's Chevrolet here. Fords are OK, better made than Chevy's My '94 LHS was a fairly bullet-proof car, but repairs were NOT easy.

GMs are made to please the shareholders, not the customers. That said, we had a Buick on the lot Park Avanue) that was a very nice running car. I was going to buy it but someone gave me the LHS, and I bought a Tercel instead. Even the lowly Tercel was a very well made car.

We also had an 85 Cutlass on the lot. The guy who owned it wanted his wife an kid in a newer car. It was also a very well running vehicle with

225,000 miles on it, but it had also had a new starter, alternator, AC compressor, etc installed within the prior year. But it was a decent car. I sold it to some people looking for a good, reliable car, and saw the darn thing running 3 years later.

Must have been made on a Wednesday...

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

Mitsubishi for years sold cars with defective brakes, even the board of directors knew about it, eventually they all were put on trial. Nissan is owned/shared with Renault a company that regularly under-performs in the reliability stakes, luckily my Nissan predates the tie up. Mazda is a ford and if you look hard enough you'll see all the Ford parts but Mazda names. Chrysler is in a league of it's own in unreliability, whilst both Honda and Toyota regularly come out top in "Which?" a UK based consumer magazine which doesn't take adverts so it's totally independant of manufacturers.

Reply to
Clive

Soon, maybe, car companies will either refuse to sell or will require large insurance to cover such incidences, premiums passed down to consumers, of course. OR, a waver signed by the consumer, doubtful because these instruments do not hold up well in civil courts. Just forget it. We'll all be paying more $$$ for just a few incidences.

Hope you like walking, taking a bus or riding the bike. Cheers.

Reply to
dbu''

Try buying a Cessna lately????

Reply to
clare

A good example, thankyou.

Reply to
dbu''

Just becasue a magazine doesn't take advertsing doesn't mean it is fair and truthful. Where does "Which?" get their data? I look at consumer magazines like this as just a different set of opinions affected by a different set of biases.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In message , C. E. White writes

"Which?" Is a consumer magazine that does independent tests and where a product is complicated like a car it joins forces with like minded other consumer magazines throughout Europe. They also pole their readership every two years on each car's previous reliability and publish the results. It's a totally different product from the JD Power Survey which we also get over here, who, to be honest I wouldn't trust, any more than I would any other magazine that runs adverts. Last year I was in Florida on Holiday for about three weeks and had a Dodge Avenger 2.4 automatic which I liked very much, but I wouldn't buy one as it only turned in 340 mile each tankful of petrol (I know you gallons are smaller than ours) even so I worked out that it was doing only half the mileage of my own car, a Nissan Almera Diesel 2.2.

Reply to
Clive

Different horses for different courses - you can NOT compare gasoline to diesel. And it's pretty hard to sell a Diesel in America if it weighs less than 3 tons.

Reply to
clare

Readers polls (also the favorite of Consumer Reports over here) are not much better than JD Powers. You need a statistically valid survey to guage reliability.

In addition, I don't know about "Which?" but most of these studies roll up surveyed problems in a way that makes the end product somewhat useless (i.e. there's a big difference between "the manufacturer found a software defect that caused knocking and recalled all the cars to fix it for free" vs "the ECU's have died and the manufacturer fought tooth and nail against replacing them for free". But, both tend to roll up under the same "engine electronics - good or bad" category.

Reply to
me

In message , me writes

Toyota accelerator fixes have already begun here in the UK. What would it take for the Merkin "big3" to get of their arses so quick, and our government hasn't even mentioned anything about Toyota.

Reply to
Clive

Interesting, since they don't appear to have confirmed diagnosis yet, let alone a fix.

Reply to
me

In message , me writes

Toyota UK obviously feel they have. They have started doing the oldest cars first 2001-2002, and will continue to work through the fleet, the fix takes about 40 minutes and (on TV) looks to involve a small metal plate an inch to an inch and a half square.

Reply to
Clive

They have confirmed both.

Reply to