Rear shock absorbers (struts)

Hi there,

I have these questions for a 1997 Camry 4cyl 123,000 miles:

1- Does replacing REAR struts require rear wheels alignment? 2- Is replacing rear struts a difficult task for a person with good mechanical knowledge? I have enough tools to do the job, I just want to know I will not need to have special tools or to have to do an alignment!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ma

I used Monroe Quick-struts and didn't need any special tools because they come as a complete assembly that you simply swap out. You can do the rears in an afternoon with no prior experience.

As for the alignment, we got one, but we did the rears and fronts at the same time. I think the adjustments you can make on the rear of a FWD Camry are limited, so you may not need one but I am not an expert.

Reply to
Nobody Important

When I swapped mine out for Monroe mounts and Gabriel Ultra struts from Autozone the front toes changed. The rear stayed the same. The instruction said if the fronts are changed you need alignment. So I think you don't have to worry about the rear alignment unless something is bent.

I was going to get the QuickStrut assembly, but really wanted the excellent Gabriel Ultras for typical driving. Heard good things about the SensaTracs, but would go for the new Reflex that Monroe phased in in place of the SensaTracs in the QuickStrut.

It will be cheaper if you buy the new assembly. Because the mount is probably in poor shape not to mention the strut bellows.

Reply to
johngdole

You may want to take thetime to remove the rear shelf so as to be able to properly torque the mounting nuts. Otherwise you might get squeaks. If you use QuickStrut assembly it's even easier. If you can do brakes and exercise the needed care, then swapping the whole assembly out should be a breeze. Remove the stabilizer-to-strut connecting rods for room to swing the assemblies out.

Personally I'd stay away from the OEM struts or the KYBs (aka Keep Your Bilsteins). But YMMV.

Autoz> Hi there,

Reply to
johngdole

Since I have a same-year Camry with 20,000 more miles than yours, I wonder what the indications are to you that you need new shocks on the rear? Is the rear end bouncing significanly? or?

Reply to
mack

That question is getting rathe personal. Are all you LIEbrawl types that interested in same sex rear ends?

Reply to
sharx35

Go do something productive, like play with yourself (again), you Canuck putz.

Reply to
mack

Yes, your guess is right. When I push on the trunk and let go, it bounces several times.

That is one reason, the other is backing out of driveway with a few people in the back I always hear the muffler dragging over the concrete.

But anyways, I gave up on the idea. Monroe Quick-struts are about $312 each ($624 both) way out of my budget for 11 year old car.

Reply to
ma

Wow. Is that only the parts ? or parts and labor?

Any way to work around these prices? Like buying online, perhaps?

Reply to
mack

Last year I bought all four Monroe Quick-Struts for my mother's 1999 V-6 Camry. I purchased them from Strutmasters.

Shop around, you may find a better price but who knows. The ease of installation was well worth the price. There are several advantages to the Monroe Quick-Strut over conventional replace the struts. A new spring and upper mount are already installed. No dangerous springs to get loose and bust you in the chops. Quick-Strut=AE Quick and easy... remove and replace one piece! No need to take apart entire assembly. No need to compress coil springs. Do the complete job right the first time. Enhances the handling, safety and performance of your vehicle.

  1. Bearing Plate
  2. Upper Spring Isolator
  3. Upper Spring Seat
  4. Coil Spring
  5. Boot Kit
  6. Lower Spring Isolator
  7. Sensa-Trac=AE Strut

Clay

I fogot to mention that the ride and handling are great.

Reply to
Clay

Check rockauto.com, these list for about $190.79 for the rears (and $245.79 for the fronts). Shipping will cost about $20 each however for these heavy items.

Toyota cheaped out and used weak springs on the 4 cyl. The QuickStrut numbers are also for 6-cyl, so I assume they use the better springs (call Monroe to verify). The QuickStrut only costs marginally more than buying your own spring, lower spring rubber insulator and Gabriel Ultra strut.

Reply to
johngdole

Yes, the parts in the local stores are pricey. But online you'll get better deals even with the shipping cost for the heavy items. Some places run specials with free shipping.

Another way is to pull old strut assemblies out of a low miles 2001 V6 Camrys of the same chassis series (SXV20, VCV20, MCV20). Check local junk yards and see what they charge. They'll be 7 years old but may still work (fingers crossed). This is the cheapest way I know.

Reply to
johngdole

Also check out shockwarehouse.com . We ordered from there and were happy. It was marginally cheaper than rockauto (at least to Canada). I've also ordered from rockauto and was happy, so I can recommend either place.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I actaully did moments ago on shockwarehouse.com, but for some reason they didn't list the QuickStruts for the 97 Camry.

I know they were on there before running a special of free shipping a few years back. I just didn't see it today.

Reply to
johngdole