Rear struts are leaking...

I've asked for help here in the past with some nice responses, so here it goes again: I have a 92 Camry, 137K miles. I had some major service done earlier this year, in Feb., at a dealer. There were several things that needed repair so we picked the major things (torn CV boot, axle damage, water pump replacement as a preventative maintenence thing, and a few small things) and left a few other things unrepaired.

One of them was: "Rear struts are leaking, recommend replacement" and so far we haven't fixed it. The price I wrote down was $400+, (too much, right?) now I guess I could call around, though I don't know of any trusted independant places to take it. The car seems fine, I mean the car is 12 years old... though we do hear some extra squeaking or similiar sound when going over speed bumps. How can I tell if I have some time yet before I repair this? Or since it has to be done anyhow, just buck up and pay for it now?

(They also mentioned motor mounts worn, and recommended reseal of oil pan and valve cover gasket, both were noted to be leaking...I also had a distributor 0-ring replaced at the same time...I was told by someone here (in this group) that until you have the distributor leak repaired you can't be absolutely sure that the oil pan and valve cover are leaking.)

So, that was in Feb. that a dealership noted the leaking struts. In June I had a oil change at another dealer and they didn't make ANY service recommendations...I imagine they just sent it to the "quick lube guys" but there was an 18-point inspection, which they just marked everything okay, including suspension system.

In the end, if anyone can offer up any advice for me, I would appreciate it. (I am due for an oil change in Oct. at which point I guess I could go back to one of the 2 dealers I have been to, or search out (ask at work, etc) for a quality Toyota/Japanese shop. As you can tell, I just really know the car basics (very basic) so I am really at the mercy of the dealership people...if they tell me that an apple is an orange I pretty much have to agree.

Reply to
Scott James

These were good and necessary repairs you did.

Not sure on prices but look underneath the car at the rear shocks and see if you can see any leaking oil..

though we do hear some extra squeaking or

Noise you hear on one that old may be the various rubber bushings in the rear of the car. A good Silicone lube(not wd40) Toyota has some at the dealer I really like can be sprayed as best you can in and around these to quiet them down.

The valve cover is an easy job to tackle yourself, the oil pan is not...

Reply to
ROBMURR

OK. Camrys have been around so long every competent shop knows them well. Struts are a no brainer. Get under the car. Do you see oil leaking on the strut? If you do they need to be replaced in pairs. Ask your neighbors who they have used at least twice. The dealers charge too much for the most basic work. You're only at the mercy of the dealerships if you choose to be. The first time you say "I can't do that" you are a lamb ready for slaughter and the dealers are most willing to oblige.

Reply to
D F Bonnett