reasonable price for fuel line service

I'm getting my 60k mi service done and I got a call from the mechanic (I brought it to the dealership, by the way). They said that they saw some carbon buildup near the throttle (?) and are reccommending a service. This would involve cleaning off the buildup and putting in some cleaners. The price: $104.

Anyone else know if this is reasonable or even necessary?

Thanks,

-dbp

Reply to
dbp

That's the going rate, so they aren't raking you.

Do you need it? Maybe, if you have been running the cheapest, lowest grade fuel you can buy. Actually, what I do (I don't know if this is GOOD, but on my older cars it seems to work) is run some fuel system or carb cleaner into the intake plenum. So far it has worked.

And get some Chevron Techron, or if you live in an area where they sell Chevron, use it for a while, and then every third tank. It will accomplish about the same thing as the treatment you tech recommended.

Techron can be purchased in just about any parts store if you don't have Chevron gas in your area (like in the Northeast...)

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Hard to say. Probably not. My dealer service department told me they usually don't clean the throttle plate unless the gas pedal begins to stick. (that would be closed not open) Sounds like typical dealer pricing. High. Sometimes, having the dealer do the work can be a very good idea. They have the specialized tools and knowledge. Often, though, you just pay a lot. The Haynes repair manual shows you how to clean the throttle plate for around $2 in supplies and this is something you could do yourself if you're at all comfortable working on cars. The process is quite simple. Spray, brush, wipe clean. Sounds like the dealer is also recommending fuel injector cleaning service which is probably unnecessary. It involves running cleaner through the fuel rail by disconnecting fuel lines. Personally, I prefer Red Line complete fuel system cleaner to Techron, although I do use Chevron gasoline. A bottle of Red Line should work as well for much less cost. You don't give your year or engine type, but at around 120,000 miles, I replaced the idle control valve and did the complete throttle body cleaning according to the factory service manual which includes adjusting the TPS (throttle position sensor), using solvent and compressed air to clean the EGR modulator vacuum orifices, and adjusting the throttle stop positioner. On mine, each of these areas showed improvement and needed attention. So if they were needed, and the dealer were fully removing and disassembling, cleaning and adjusting the throttle body per the service manual that would be worth the $104 - but doesn't sound like that is what they're quoting.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks Vash, Daniel, for the helpful advice.

-dbp

Reply to
dbp

Thats a throttle body cleaning...I do mine with O2 safe cleaner and a toothbrush in 5 minutes. Tools required 1 screwdriver, 1 bungee cord to hold the throttle open.

Reply to
Rob