Recommend rotors that wont warp in 8 months?

Cheap rotors used last time. From car quest. $50 each. I get a bad shake in the steering wheel when braking at high speed. Should I go with a drilled or slotted disk or go to Toyota. I dont want to keep replacing cheap rotors every year. Also, I was just reading it might not be warped rotors but pad residue bult up on the rotors from not breaking the pads and rotors in propely when I replaced them last august.????

Also, If I replace the rotors do I have to do the pads also?

Can you recommend a quality rotor? For my wifes car, no racing involved.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
steve

I have found if you don't use a torque wrench to evenly tighten lug nuts on wheel rotors will warp. I've done it to my toyota truck. But after using torque wrench I have no problems. Use about 90 ft-lbs for steel wheels and 75 ft-lbs for aluminum mags.

Reply to
Edmechanic

How old are the rotors? I used to work ay CarQuest and used the cheapest rotors I could get (how 'bout $7.19 with my emp discount?) on an '83 Tercel Wagon w 4WD. 2 Years and (only) 5,000 miles later, no problem.

But this is an issue. The rotors are made in China and not consistant.

If you want good rotors, buy the Toyota rotors. Mine are $50-65 for my 4 Yotas. I buy the carquest ones because I drive 25-30K a year and change them often (plus my former boss still treats me to a discount!) I have three Toys running on the cheapest rotors I could get, and only 1 developed a slight shimmy that went away after a week. The other two are over two years since last brake job.

The only thing I can think of is that the store you bought them from stacked them like books on a shelf for storage instead of laying flat.

And badger them for a discount! $50 for Chinese rotors! Unless you got the US made ones instead.

As far as the pads, they're generally $20-28. Change them unless they are only 50% (spend the extra $7-10 for lifetime! They are not making money on me!!!)

I get a bad shake

Reply to
HachiRoku