Renewing Front Seat Belts.

Hi Guys, I am getting fed up with the lack of rewind on my seat belts in my 1995 CAMRY.

I just got a quote for renewing the front 2 at my local TOYOTA dealer. Its £210 that's about $360. That seems a lot.

I have had lots of cars over the years but never belts that were weak to rewind like these have been. The rear ones are the same and they are very rarely used.

Is this usual on Toyotas.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

My 2001 Avalon with only 20k miles on it has the same problem. Another reason why my 4th Toyota will be my last.

in

Reply to
Art

Johnny Melvin wrote: || Hi Guys, || I am getting fed up with the lack of rewind on my seat || belts in my 1995 CAMRY. || || I just got a quote for renewing the front 2 at my local TOYOTA || dealer. Its £210 that's about $360. || That seems a lot. || || I have had lots of cars over the years but never belts that were || weak to rewind || like these have been. || The rear ones are the same and they are very rarely used. || || Is this usual on Toyotas. || || Johnny UK.

They replaced my drivers seat belt on my 99 Camry..same problem you are having. It was good for a few more months...then weakened. They need a STRONGER mechanism, already!!!!

Reply to
finnedone

|| weak to rewind

Well in that case I will not pay to get them replaced. I though I had just got a faulty set fitted, But it looks like faulty is standard. Pity I love my Camry.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Go to this site and it shows you how you can adjust them yourself.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

How about just pulling the belt straight out from the top mount, then allowiing it to retract slowly before you release it, rather than letting go and expecting it to jump back into place? Stronger tension return springs would likely elicit complaints that the belts are uncomfortable to use.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

======================================

From: Marc ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) Subject: Seat belt clip on 93 LE? This is the only article in this thread View: Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.camry Date: 2004-09-29 09:29:37 PST

I've had to move driver's seat due to adding a lumbar support on the seat and now the seat belt chafes my neck. It was always somewhat uncomfortable in the winter wearing a heavy jacket and will be even more so now. I've always had the lever on the door frame in its farthest down position (up makes it worse). ***Is their some kind of clip sold to prevent the belt from retracting with such normal force.***(emphasis added) The belt still does it's lockup thing when I have it held a bit out then yank on it suddenly so it shouldn't be a safety issue. I can live with having to push the belt into the car when I exit.

Thanks, Marc

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The problem for almost EVERYONE else is poor, weak retraction of the seat belt(s). You will soon get your wish as your seat belt retraction will quickly become weak, very weak.

Reply to
dorsal

As long as the belt can be retracted properly, I'm OK with it. Mine is ten years old, so presumably, the retraction springs are stabilized. Never really noticed a problem. My Dad was in the passenger seat Saturday, and left the belt dangling, so I guess that's what you mean. He has a Buick, so presumably, in other cars the belt snaps back when you let go. Like I said, never noticed a problem with present function. Not high on my list of concerns.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Not a prob, as long as one remembers to manually stuff the last few inches into the retractor, avoiding the caught in door situation.

Reply to
dorsal