Replaced battery car won't start

I have a 1994 Camry V6. The battery went after sitting for over a month in the driveway. I bought a new battery from Sears and put it in, but all that happens when I put the key in the ignition is the most of the lights flash on and off, and the engine will not turn over at all. What do I do? Is the new battery bad? Someone said it's a problem with the alarm.

Johanna

Reply to
Johanna

Two obvious possibilities.. Is the battery installed correctly, ie positive cable on positive terminal, negative on negative? Is the battery charged?

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Hi Johanna,

Please see Section 17 in the FAQ on

Kindest regards,

BiLL......

Reply to
Bill Darden

Check that the connections to the battery are clean and tight. If possible, check the state of charge of the battery. An inexpensive hydrometer should work, or a voltmeter. If the battery is not fully charged, take it back to Sears for another. After reading up on batteries on the Internet prior to my last purchse, I made sure to ask that I was getting a "fresh" battery. The sales clerk at Sears told me it was manufactured in January of that year. After I installed it, I realized, that the battery code acutally indicated it was much older - I've forgotten exactly, but someting like ten months old actually. Got them to exchange it for a battery with a newer manufacture date. Couple of months later, in checking with my temperature compenstated hydrometer, realized the battery wasn't at a full state of charge. Possibly because I'd been driving a lot of short trips. Anyway, put it on a slow charge and kept checking the state of charge. After several days (not continuous - but overnight) finally got the state of charge to come up to "good" (forgot exactly, something like specific gravity of 1.25 something). Point is, even with a "new" battery, full charge may not be guaranteed.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus