Replacement Camry - was engine failure

I previously posted asking about the engine failure in my 1997 Camry

4-cyl. I've pretty much decided I don't want to trust a used engine, and don't want to pay for a rebuilt. So, two more questions:

  1. What year/model do you guys all like? I don't much care for, and can't afford the latest body style - I'm thinking more like a 99-01 LE. Is the 6-cyl less reliable or harder to maintain than my 4? I liked the fuel economy, but it was just a bit gutless with the AC on.

I'm thinking of spending somewhere in the $6-8K range.

  1. What do you do with a very nice 1997 LE that just happens to have a solid lump of metal instead of an engine? Junkyard? try to part it out myself? Anyone need a three-week old set of 195/70-14 Michelin Harmonies on alloy rims?
Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Nothing wrong with a used engine from a trusted source - they do come with at least a 90 day warranty. A non running car with bad engine is worth $100 - 300 -- running $3000. The 4 is easy to work on and very dependable and long lived if maintained.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My mechanic once told me that the 6 cyl doesn't age as well as the 4. I have a 4 (1998) and it is more than adequate in most situation, even with the A/C on. I use synthetic oil in the engine and transmission. As for Scott's car, I would go for a rebuild, if the rest of car is in good condition. A used one is OK if from a reputable place.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

The dealer had been offering a 30-day warranty on the used engine, so I refused the $4708.14 estimate. 15 minutes ago he called and asked if I'd authorize it if he gave a 1-year warranty.

However, there's a very clean 1999 down the street with the same (rather extensive) options as my 1997, for $6400. The largest difference is that it's a V-6 and has 170K miles - whereas my 1997 had

151K.
Reply to
Scott Schuckert

================== Try calling T.A.P. Recycling, Toll Free 1-800-765-7100 for a price on engines, then contact a local independent mechanic specializing in Toyota for labor to install, just to double check pricing prior to deciding a future course of action.

Reply to
Daniel

Guess the problem you have is you're working with the dealer - they are set up to empty your wallet. If you could find an engine at one of the car recycling yards - they probably slap used one in for $2k and guarantee it for 90 days. Where on east coast are you located? In Virginia there is Cosner's in Charlottesville VA and Brandywine in Southern MD - both are reputable.

Reply to
Wolfgang

================================ On my first car, to make it go faster, I had a local mechanic get a used Chevrolet V8 and install in place of the standard six cylinder engine. It was a long time ago, but I don't think the engine was more than a few hundred dollars, yet it ran just fine for many years. Toyota engines are even more reliable. If you find one where the oil has been changed regularly, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Reply to
Daniel

Your engine went out at 151K miles, the 170K-mile engine might run for another 170K or might just quit in the next 20K.

$4708 is a good way to clean out your wallet. You can buy a new crate engine with that. He might have called a junk yard that will give him the 30 day warranty. That's what you can get with some junk yard salvaged engines and it won't cost you ~$5K.

Depending on the extent of the failure, you may even be able to re-ring and install new rod bearings (not sure about getting to main bearings in that state) and head gasket with the engine in the car.

Scott Schuckert wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Complete rebuilt $1699 + shipping