replacing alt. pwr. steering & compressor belts on 97 camry

Dealer wants $114.00 to do this. The area looks cramped and difficult to get into. Is it worth attempting to do this myself??

Reply to
cmuller

It's not too terrible. THere are only two belts on that thing, so it could be worse. The top belt (alt. and comp.)is a breeze to get off, but the lower (the PS belt) requires you to go in through the right fender well, and it's a hell of alot easier to do it with the car over your head. If you wanna try I'll give you a step by step.

Reply to
qslim

I'll assume the four cylinder since you didn't say otherwise. Like qslim says, the alternator and compressor belt is easy, although the factory calls for really high belt tension - around 120 lbs. "used" which is after the engine has run for five minutes. I use a Burroughs belt tension gauge which I found on eBay, and first time I checked my dealer installed belt it was around 30 lbs. too loose. Not that you could detect any difference, just letting you know. NAPA or someone similar may have an inexpensive click type belt tension gauge designed for narrower belts, that can give you a clue - just a suggestion. I found the power steering belt could be replaced well enough with the car up on jack stands and the front wheel removed. Seems odd you're replacing just these accessory drive belts, though. Usually they're replaced with the timing belt since they have to come off then anyway. The only trick to the power steeering pump is tensioning the new belt. I believe it goes to 80 lbs. used, around 100 lbs. new. On mine, I found that a 17mm (I think) open end wrench, fit on to a square section under the pump, and after linking another combination wrench with it, could lever pressure enough to tension the belt. To answer the question about being worth doing yourself depends on you. I always do my own work. From past experience over many years have been convinced that no one else takes the time and care that I do working on my own vehicle. You need the general aptitude, right tools and skill set, and patience to do everything right. For many it's easier to just pay the hundred bucks or so. Just be sure to use Toyota parts whichever way you go, or whomever does your work.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus